Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just a little mantel clock...

Default just a little mantel clock...

Here's a little project for the new year...

A mantle clock.

I bought a radio controlled clock works to automatically correct the time from timesavers.com

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful chunk of wood and and very fitting hardware and design Steve!
    Species of the crotch please?
    Is that actual turquoise or glass frit on the infill?

Also...Of course I Love the branch carvings and "cookies"....someone paints Way better than I do

Well Done!!
    scott

NICE to see wood WAY older than me
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Perfect choice of wood for a rustic clock.

Phil

Thanks Scott!

It’s a Pecan crotch slab. I landed up with 5 of them from a tree we had milled… I’ve figured out what to do with 3 of them now! Coming soon, a pedestal table with a pecan crotch slab and black epoxy…

Glass frit or real turquoise… I had to go check which bag I’d used! Glass.

The art work… I send my sister mesquite scraps and she turns them into works of art! Very much in the tradition of Grandma Moses… and nearly blind. Mesquite is very stable… no cracking or splitting. Normally she sells them at craft fairs but due to covid, those social events have all been canceled.

SG

Aah...Steve's Pecan Stash
    Is there any finish on it, or au naturale ?

Is that paint/stain for numerals and second divots?
    LIKE it!
    Pretty good when you can't tell by looking if it's glass frit or crushed turquoise

Give your sister a compliment from Me!!
    That's great work!!
    scott P.
    Maine

My original idea was to have the clock small and minimal, featuring the beauty of the wood! However, my bride of 50 years had other ideas! I first tried the V-carving without any fill, but it looked like a mistake… I filled the lettering with brown latex paint, and likely will go back and try black. I finished the wood with a clear gloss lacquer but didn’t like the glare from some angles, I like the satin finish I ended up with.

The clock hands sweep a 20” circle and are kinda thin, floppy and flexible. They keep getting tangled up! I’m looking for something a bit more ridged…

SG

Well...It Ain't small....and is minimal and Gorgeous....and looks in a pic as unfinished...so guess you succeeded Steve
    Looks great as is....but the customer is Always right!!

Too bad about the "flimsies" .....sounded nest with the exact time without taking it off the wall to adjust!
    Thanks for posting Steve!
    I have to start posting more too....the Forum used to be Lively and one of the Musts of the day.
    scott P.
    Maine

Good Idea I have many off cuts from what I mill, may make a few along with the serving boards that they usually become.

Brian… here’s another project for those off cuts. I have over 100 small, live edge slabs and way more charcuterie boards than I’ll ever sell! I used to be able to sell them with a verse or poem carved on them, but I seem to be out of touch with what todays decorators are inspired by…

I used to use wrought iron hooks, but their price and quality have disappointed me lately! These hooks, made from Baltic Birch, are more than adequate! Sometimes I’ll randomly hit the edges on the spindle sander to simulate a hammered look.

My wall coat racks are made from local wood, Cedar, Osage orange, Bradford pear, Mesquite, Live oak and more. Lumberyard softwood works too when someone wants a long row of multiple hooks.

I put keyhole hanging slots on the back, This limits the minimum thickness slab I can use, especially in markets where I offer V-carved customization.

The live edge hardwood racks wholesale in the $15.00 per hook range.

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve, thank you for the ideas, I am currently milling Beech red oak and a big ash log, got sidelined with the snowstorm I really love working with beech, second slab I cut had a bullet in it. Much nicer on the chain than a wash line hook or huge nail, wish it had been further in it could have been a focal point on a table top.

The curved red oak will be a oval coffee table, it came from a limb that fell off a huge oak on the customers property after air drying for a few months they will go in the kiln.