Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paulk workbench meets coffee table

Hybrid View

Default Paulk workbench meets coffee table

Made a miniature sized Paulk Workbench to use as a coffee table in my shop office. One of the first projects...
    7307441B-0D81-4158-9D3D-F3B9EDDCE9C9.jpg

8C69E035-2F8C-4C5F-8AB1-D26F089D806A.jpg

Thumbs up!!!
    SG

Excellent.

Phil

Love it!

Greg

What did you design that in?

Looks great!

I downloaded the box gadget from vCarve. I saw where you could make a box with a tabbed lid and BAM it hit me. I made the box with the box gadget and then exported it to Corel Draw to make the oval holes in the sides. The leg system was a quick draw up in Corel. Kinda my first lager project and was AMAZED at how well it all went together. I almost hate to say it but it fit perfect and i didn't mess/break anything. (i got lucky)

I was pleased with the outcome and this was a good lesson for me in the design and tool pathing set ups. Thumbs up to the creator of the box gadget. It is AWESOME!

Disclaimer I had downloaded the plans for the Paulk Work Bench sometime ago.

By the way your dust boot setup is awesome. I might have to adjust my spindle to get it to fit or just make a few mods in Fusion!
    (I have it printed but my spindle is set to low for it to work as designed)

Quote Originally Posted by EricSchimel View Post
    What did you design that in?

Looks great!

Attached Images Attached Images

Default A few more pics.

Seems simple enough but it was all I could handle at the time.

Attached Images Attached Images

Fusion 360 definitely has a learning curve. SketchUp is far easier to learn. There are advantages to both. If you absolutely need parametric design Fusion is a decent choice. After you get over the learning curve and the quirks (and the random crashes) you can make designs that change size and shape on the fly.

If you just want to draw in a really fast and free way SketchUp is excellent.

As far as that dust shoe, it does work well, but I had to reprint a few pieces of it because they take a beating with all of the vibration at the spindle. The only reason I'd recommend someone use that design is if they absolutely must have a rear exit, and you don't have that need on your machine from what I can see (I had to do it because I had an air drill on it). That shoe that ShopBot sends on their machines is actually quite good.

I now have an ATC on my machine and I had to do this:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XVpXFJu3KcW9UcXA9

I decided to stay away from 3D printing on this one completely. There are definitely more robust filaments I could have (and did) use on parts to mitigate damage, but the part that I couldn't really solve was the time to print a new part. I do some production work and I don't like downtime. To print a new base would take a day. With this HDPE shoe I can make a new part in 5 minutes. So now I have a few spares on the shelf.