Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paulk workbench meets coffee table

Default A few more pics.

Seems simple enough but it was all I could handle at the time.

Attached Images Attached Images

Fusion 360 definitely has a learning curve. SketchUp is far easier to learn. There are advantages to both. If you absolutely need parametric design Fusion is a decent choice. After you get over the learning curve and the quirks (and the random crashes) you can make designs that change size and shape on the fly.

If you just want to draw in a really fast and free way SketchUp is excellent.

As far as that dust shoe, it does work well, but I had to reprint a few pieces of it because they take a beating with all of the vibration at the spindle. The only reason I'd recommend someone use that design is if they absolutely must have a rear exit, and you don't have that need on your machine from what I can see (I had to do it because I had an air drill on it). That shoe that ShopBot sends on their machines is actually quite good.

I now have an ATC on my machine and I had to do this:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XVpXFJu3KcW9UcXA9

I decided to stay away from 3D printing on this one completely. There are definitely more robust filaments I could have (and did) use on parts to mitigate damage, but the part that I couldn't really solve was the time to print a new part. I do some production work and I don't like downtime. To print a new base would take a day. With this HDPE shoe I can make a new part in 5 minutes. So now I have a few spares on the shelf.

Eric, is that the machine you bought from me??
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5

It sure is!

I've modified the hell out of it, totally new drive system, aftermarket control, custom designed 8 zone vac table, automatic tool changer, fancy flashing lights and a bunch of other odds and ends. There's not a single wire, motor, sensor or circuit board that's left from how I got it from you. Only the metal is original

OP, Nice Paulk table!!!

Greg

Wait a cotton picking minute! There is a box gadget? I am using Aspire 9.5 and I don't have a box gadget! I painstakingly modded and modded and modded some box jinted boxes (similar to the table) and spent weeks figuring out all the cuts and everything... and 4-5 bit changes (or something crazy like that)... and there is already a gadget that would have HELPED ME??? RATS! I gotta find this tool!

Monty

Monty…

I was working on documenting my method of making boxes with box joints on all edges in case we ever had another “Camp ShopBopt” I was about 20 pages into it when I discovered that the box gadget did box joints as well as dovetail joints and does them well!

SG

Attached Images Attached Images

Man the box gadget is pretty dang good. Hats off the the creator. I nailed it the first time (still can’t believe it). I just exported the file so I could add the ovals on the sides. I know it can be done in VCarve but I was a little more comfortable in Corel Draw.

Why stop at the box gadget?

What if you could make anything that you could design and turn it into ShopBot code in seconds:

https://youtu.be/ug3TvrJtVLQ

Boxes like that are trivial in SketchUp.

Here's another video of doing something like this stackable crate:

https://youtu.be/Ld7zXmhYoDM

Here's the source model I used from SketchUp:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...te?tab=general