Thread: Bora PM-254 3 1/4 HP Router

Default Bora PM-254 3 1/4 HP Router

I would like some feedback on the Bora PM-254 router. I have been using a Bora PM-254 since last October with absolute joy. I bought it over a year ago as backup to the 4 Porter Cable routers that I have had fail. I have heard some negative reports of poor quality in the past. I cannot brag enough so far with this tool. It is quiet when not cutting where I can talk without raising my voice, and runs so smoothly in operation. I am using it in a ShopBot BenchTop machine which gets a good workout on a weekly basis. I need to purchase another one for backup and need encouragement I guess. Thanks for any comments.
    MikeK
    ShopBot BenchTop with 4G upgrade
    Vacuum Table with Fein Vac
    Aspire 4.5

Interesting, I guess it has the same diameter as the Porter Cable, I have a Porter Cable 7518 on my machine at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by mikek View Post
    I would like some feedback on the Bora PM-254 router. I have been using a Bora PM-254 since last October with absolute joy. I bought it over a year ago as backup to the 4 Porter Cable routers that I have had fail. I have heard some negative reports of poor quality in the past. I cannot brag enough so far with this tool. It is quiet when not cutting where I can talk without raising my voice, and runs so smoothly in operation. I am using it in a ShopBot BenchTop machine which gets a good workout on a weekly basis. I need to purchase another one for backup and need encouragement I guess. Thanks for any comments.
    It doesn't seem to have very good reviews on Amazon.

That is what I saw also. Yes, it is a direct replacement for the PC 7518. It even fits the PC router base.
    MikeK
    ShopBot BenchTop with 4G upgrade
    Vacuum Table with Fein Vac
    Aspire 4.5

Well, considering the 7518 has vanished from the face of the internet...

All I've found are 3 choices: Bora PM-P254 (available almost anywhere EXCEPT Amazon? wierd...)
    Milwaukee 5625-20 (only 3 of 15 listed vendors at Milwaukee website show in stock - all else - "out of stock" "backordered" or "pre-order" only...)
    MCLS 3 1/4 HP Router Motor (Backordered)

I have a spindle in the 'Bot, but my 5 year old Woodtek router lift/cast iron table system (BTW, also completely obsolete now) has the 7518 installed. Like everyone else who bought the Porter Cable in the last 3-5 years, the speed control is whatever it decides to do on any given day, sometimes moment by moment.

Again, looks like the Bora is almost the only thing available on the market now for a 3+ HP router motor, unless you want to try the Milwaukee - limited availability, add $100 to price.

Anyone else have insight/options? I am wondering what Shopbot is recommending now, considering the Porter Cable was the hinge pin for economical, non-spindle, full sized machines...

Jeff

I was looking to buy a cast iron router table starting last fall. And as my Shopbot has a spindle, I didn't ever get into the PC routers. But I had assumed I'd use a Porter Cable router for my new router table. I was quite shocked to learn that the PC routers were no longer available, and that for the last few years, their on-line reviews reported terrible quality issues. (You may want to watch Den of Tools on YouTube, where they talk a lot about Porter Cable and their demise.)

At first the Bora router motor made sense, but I found many terrible reviews of that as well. I ended up ordering a Triton TRA 001 3 1/4. It had consistently great reviews, and using that would also save me the money on getting a router lift. I ordered the Triton in early January even though it was back ordered...... It didn't arrive until mid February. But that didn't matter, because the new cast iron router table I ordered in January, won't arrive until MAY!!!!! Who would have imagined so many things would be out of whack prior to the Covid epidemic!

Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5