Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power

Default Power

Hello all, New here and seriously considering a Desktop Max. Looks like it will fill my desires except that I'm told it only comes with a 1hp spindle. I am wondering if that might seem a little underpowered. Of course I really have no idea and that's why I'm reaching out. I am just and probably always will be a hobbyist making small things as gifts, but I wouldn't be opposed to selling a sign or cutting board or two now and then. Any comments about the power of the 1 hp spindle? Thank you.

For hobbyist work and sign carving this will be plenty, and nice and quiet as well.

Thank you. I can't imagine it being much more. I'm retired and like it that way and my space is limited.

An interesting note…

Router HP is determined by the power it consumes… or 1 hp =745.7 watts. A spindle HP is determined by the work it does… the two are not comparable!

If you have used a small lightweight trim router, typically rated at 1.25 hp, I understand why you might question if it’s adequate for a CNC!

If you told us you were going to be cutting ¾” cabinet parts with a 3/8” compression bit in one pass, then I’d say a 1 HP spindle is inadequate. But With what you’re proposing to do, you’ll find the 1HP spindle up to the task.

SG

Thank you both again.

+1 to what others have said.
    I have a DeskTop with the same spindle and never had an issue with enough power. Also you’ll love the lack of noise as compared with a router.
    I too am a hobbies and never had issues with any of the materials I’ve cut.

I appreciate the encouragement

Just too add to what others have said.
    I've only ever heard my spindle bog down twice in 7 yrs(and we had 2 Desktops for 4 of those),
    and both times it was my fault programming on the fly and skipping decimal points on the Z
    I do NOT recommend cutting Teak at 3IPS with a 1.25" bit in single .5" pass(should have been .05")....
    and NEVER try cutting small font with your collet and collet nut!!
    (1" of bit exposed, and typed in 1.25" depth instead of .125"!)

+2 on the noise....your ears and others nearby will thank you!!

I cut a lot of "Firewood" and gifted or "Found" wood that needs to be prepped, and usually a 1.25" bit at 2.5-3.0 IPS at 40% stepover at pass depths around .1-.15" for Sugar Maple.
    Never hear a drop in RPM like with a router....Plenty of torque in a wide range!

Just a few pics of a typical rough cut of a burl cut for my Dad.
    (Oh....big pocket for Dad's ashes was .25" deep passes with a .5" bit)

You'll Love the accuracy and repeatability of the Desktop also, as we use the same gantry construction and spindle!!
    I did another project in Maple from a blow down and it used a 1.5mmTBN/ 1mm TBN/ .25mmTBN/ and then a 30 degree engraving bit(.005" flat) for just the fine details.
    Because I was searching for the right layer of wood for the model, and then the small size of final bits....the wood was jigged for 4 days.
    Repeatability was key to adding the fine details like the fringe on his jacket with the smallest bit!
    Pics next.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Here's the blow down Sugar Maple "Shaman"

Just a "Hobbyist" now....but for 2 years we had both machines running for 40-50 hours a week(small stuff like buttons and key fobs) and a friend in VA is running an identical Desktop 4 yrs now making RV signs 8-10 hrs a day...4.6 days a week with a 3 week backlog.

You'll LOVE the Desktop
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Very, very nice.