Thread: Power

Hybrid View

Default Power

Hello all, New here and seriously considering a Desktop Max. Looks like it will fill my desires except that I'm told it only comes with a 1hp spindle. I am wondering if that might seem a little underpowered. Of course I really have no idea and that's why I'm reaching out. I am just and probably always will be a hobbyist making small things as gifts, but I wouldn't be opposed to selling a sign or cutting board or two now and then. Any comments about the power of the 1 hp spindle? Thank you.

For hobbyist work and sign carving this will be plenty, and nice and quiet as well.

Thank you. I can't imagine it being much more. I'm retired and like it that way and my space is limited.

An interesting note…

Router HP is determined by the power it consumes… or 1 hp =745.7 watts. A spindle HP is determined by the work it does… the two are not comparable!

If you have used a small lightweight trim router, typically rated at 1.25 hp, I understand why you might question if it’s adequate for a CNC!

If you told us you were going to be cutting ¾” cabinet parts with a 3/8” compression bit in one pass, then I’d say a 1 HP spindle is inadequate. But With what you’re proposing to do, you’ll find the 1HP spindle up to the task.

SG

Thank you both again.

+1 to what others have said.
    I have a DeskTop with the same spindle and never had an issue with enough power. Also you’ll love the lack of noise as compared with a router.
    I too am a hobbies and never had issues with any of the materials I’ve cut.