Thread: New control computer, win 10, 2021

Default New control computer, win 10, 2021

As my current control tower (8 yr old Asus, i5) becomes more unreliable, I'm looking for recommendations.

I've bought 2 new machines in the last 1-5 months, and boy, things damn near don't function at all anymore. The process of simply booting can be a challenge, even for my new $2,300 design machine. Seems the more I spend, the worse they are.
    In a world where we're 1 step away from being forced into a cloud- based system, how in the heck are we supposed to find something that will get along with the aging SB-3 and all it's fussy-ness?

Absolutely petrified about changing my control computer.

Is there a decent, go-to machine that is reasonably well suited to running a Shopbot?

Recommendations, anyone?

Jeff

When my original controller computer started to die, I went with a "refurbished" Dell tiny computer without a fan and a solid state drive. Bought it on ebay for $150 all in, including W7 and plenty of RAM. I hooked it up once to the internet just to get updates, then that was it. So far, it's about a year or so down the road and it works perfectly.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Started with a refurb 11-12 years ago and am now on my third. The latest, November of last year, is a Dell Optiplex 3020 i5 8gb ram purchased from Amazon for $156. And I've always had my wired network connection active to my in-house NAS with no problems.

I just installed the one in the link. I needed to figure out how to force Win 10 to install the drivers for the Bot but once accomplished everything has been working great. It's remarkably small yet very capable. Using a wireless keyboard which functions flawlessly as a remote pendant for manually moving the Bot when needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Windows-i5-52...x_mr_hp_d&th=1

Purchased an Asus all-in-one PC with Windows 7. Been running without a single problem for about 5 years now. Never connected to my network (internet). Disabled most functions that will make a computer slower and less reliable. Cleaned up the registry. Very high speed connection with the control box over a 10' USB cable. Capable of pushing my 2009 PRS/Alpha with ATC at 15IPS (jog speed, not cut speed) without an issue. Great little computer.

I think with all the connectivity issues with newer versions of Windows, many problems crop up and it's tough to work around them.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Thanks for all the responses. Checking things out.

needed to figure out how to force Win 10 to install the drivers for the Bot
    Exactly. That's the kind of asinine garbage I'm talking about. I'll be running the opposite direction from that one. (though I appreciate your good intentions)

Had to leave a message with Shopbot sales, but website indicates they are now offering a control computer that is clean-swept and ready to run the SB trouble free. Interesting.

Just don't have the patience and time of day to play with computers until everybody decides to get along. Despite all the warnings and advice on cleaning/scouring, even my existing computer(never saw internet) would still generate hiccups and get nervous randomly about no updates. Just can't seem to dig deep enough to eradicate the trash, even from that vintage machine.

Tons of work to do, and burning thousands on malfunctioning computers has me completely hacked off at this point.

I'll post once SB responds, but still open to further suggestions.

Jeff

>> ...but still open to further suggestions.

Give up on W10 and go back to W7.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Give up on W10 and go back to W7.
    Good point! I'll modify my search and see what I can find.

Meanwhile, Tom at SB just called back. Machines are changing regularly, based on availability, etc. They're quoting a Dell Vostro 3400 series completely scoured/loaded/ready to run my machine for ~ $600 (subject to change based on all the above).
    Sure, you can do better, but my shop rate factored against all the horsing around, this plug and play solution is possibly the smartest way to go. For me.

Jeff

For $600, sounds like a good solution.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool