Thread: VFD & single phase input help

Default VFD & single phase input help

Hi all, hoping for some help with vfd options. I have a 5hp Colombo spindle t-box older model with a vfd-b delta model vfd037b23a (3ph in and 3ph out - picture below). I need to find a new vfd that will work off of single phase input since I will be running the machine at a residential site. The residence is supplied with 240v and has option for either 30amp or 40amp breaker use. My plan is to run an extension cord (about 40 feet) from the plug with this breaker and voltage to the garage when I run the machine. Not ideal but my only option in the short term at this time.

Does anybody have opinions or thoughts on best vfd boxes for this application? I’m hoping to avoid a phase converter and just switch the vfd out. I’m looking at yaskawa and delta mostly. Saw some older strings on here but looking for any current thoughts. Thanks all!

Hook up what you have. I think you will do ok with it.
    Kenneth

The VFD you have will not work. Using 3 phase to single phase, the rule of thumb is you need to double the HP rating. You need a 10 hp VFD. You can get them cheap. I used a Yaskawa V1000 for the same set-up you have.

JMCS, do you mind sharing with me your vfd model number? Thank you!

It will work and I have done it many times, but more power never hurts if you want to buy another. I think you would be pleased with the one you have unless you push it very hard, which I doubt can happen on an older prt.
    Kenneth

YASKAWA V-1000 10 HP CIMR-VU2A0040FAA 200-240 VOLT 3/PHASE VFD . It's not the cheapest, but it's one of the best.

Thanks for that info. Talked to yaskawa, they said this model would work: 1) New, Yaskawa GA500 Series, 230V, 1 Phase Input/3 Phase Output, 18 amps output (Appx 32 Amps input)
    GA50UB018ABA. Any thoughts? Shopbot wasn’t super helpful with this unfortunately. Pending Colombo response

That should work.