Thread: Octagon Finial

Default Octagon Finial

I need a octagon finial for a pencil post bed. Top of post is 1 3/8" across the octagon. The finial would be approx. 2" across the octagon. The radius parts are 1/2" radius. I was able to draw it on my cad program. I figure the only way I can make it. Is to make a piece of molding and cut the 8 segment pieces and glue they back together. If any one has a better solution let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    T Fix
    2000 ShopBot PRT 96 CNC Tool

I guess you could do a molding toolpath, but you’d need to either precut the blank into an octagon or make a jig that would hold it in the proper position. Either way, you’d lose your positioning surfaces as the cutting progressed!
    I’m thinking that cutting the sides flat and mitering them together sounds simpler…

SG

What do you have for software? With Aspire, create half of it (or create a 2 sided job) and add a square section at the top and bottom that gets left on the blank (uncut) and is used for indexing to cut the other side. Create a 3D roughing and finish toolpath.
    Scott

You could do it as a solid by using an indexer as the hold down. Once a side is finished, manually rotate the fixture with the MB (move B Axis) command and do the next side.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

If you have a table saw look at this description. https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/thre...ble-saw.55809/
    You could make the finial separately.

Phil

Thanks for the interest. I miss detailed my description of the finial. The bottom part of the picture is top of post. Which is already made, no problem for me. The very top of picture is the finial. Which is about 2" across the octagonal and a 1 1/2" in height. Something very hard to hold while cutting the 8 radiused sides. Thanks again.
    T Fix

Just for fun...
    Scott

Cool srwtlc! I'm getting some great ideas here, that I hadn't thought about. I still have to figure a way with the tooling I have. Thanks for all the ideas All.
    T Fix