Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After 12 years, thinking of buying an HSD spindle, change my mind

Default After 12 years, thinking of buying an HSD spindle, change my mind

Seriously, has anyone upgraded from a PC router to the 2.2HP HSD spindle and regretted it? I never see anyone post about regrets but it's hard to admit to it after spending that much money.

With my PC router, I typically run in the 2.5 to 2.8 ips range. With the HSD, how much faster can I increase my feed rate on a PRT Alpha?

Do you notice a definitive improvement in cut/edge quality?

I do see a lot of posts about how the HSD spindles are uneconomical to repair. What type of service life can I expect? I do run my machine for profit, but only as a side business. After 12 years, I'm getting ready to replace my PC router for the 2nd time. So, I'm averaging around 6 years per router with my moderate usage. Can I expect a single HSD spindle to last 12 years, if a PC router can survive 6 years?
    PRT Alpha with 7.2 upgrade, indexer, and PC router

The pain and suffering to your ears make it worthwhile. Lower RPM torque makes it worthwhile.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I run my machine commercially and I got 3 years to the day out of my two HSD 1073 MT spindles. They can be rebuilt but it costs as much as a new one. I upgraded to an ATC and I'll never go back to a single tool machine again.

If you're coming from a router a spindle is going to be a wonderful upgrade.

I got two PRS Alphas with HSD 2.2 spindles in 2008 for a big cutting job. One of the spindles was replaced maybe 3 years ago, but the other one is still running fine after 13 years. I don't cut continuously but do cut a lot.

Your mileage may vary of course!

I ran a 2.2hp spindle for almost 9 years. I was cutting at 6ips in 3/4" plywood in two passes with a 1/4" compression bit. The spindle is SOOOO much quieter. I ran a Shopbot buddy for about 3 months and the router was so painfully noisy. When I went to a PRSAlpha with spindle, I couldn't believe the cutting performance and no noise from the spindle.

Like Eric, I upgraded to an ATC with a 5hp spindle last year and the difference in power is incredible. Still just as quiet as the 2.2hp. I run commercially as well, cutting at least 700-800 sheets of plywood a year not to mention carving and cutting hardwoods. You will NOT regret upgrading to a spindle.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I agree with all of the above. You can run it without ear protection most of the time.

Phil

I have had both never going back to a router.

Thanks for all the replies. Can anyone comment on improvements on cut/edge quality?

Don - Were you cutting at 6ips on a PRT Alpha?
    PRT Alpha with 7.2 upgrade, indexer, and PC router

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Can anyone comment on improvements on cut/edge quality?

Don - Were you cutting at 6ips on a PRT Alpha?
    No. A 2009 PRSAlpha
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Don and Bill, glad to hear you had better luck with spindles.

Agree with what others are saying here too, spindles are great. Do it!