Thread: Spurious Y movement during Z moves on PRSalpha machine

Default Spurious Y movement during Z moves on PRSalpha machine

I purchased a 5x10 Alpha and am troubleshooting a puzzling issue that can best be described by the behavior experienced cutting a straight line from X0 to X12 at a constant Y.

I created this tiny toolpath to capture the problem. The file cuts in two passes: 1st is 0.05" deep to demonstrate that it behaves correctly when Z is not moving. The second pass cuts to a final depth of 0.25" and includes 10 3D tabs that are 0.5" long x 0.15" tall.

When the second pass is made, every tab is cut on a diagonal going toward negative Y. The segments between tabs are cut at a constant Y. The result is a stairstep shape that gets inches below the target Y value. All the while, the machine still thinks it is at the correct Y value.

In the attached pic, (apologies, I'm cutting in scrap ... have ruined so much material due to this issue) the straight line at the top is the first pass. The second pass should be right on top of it, but instead it is the stairstep line running down diagonally.

FYI, if I cut this at 90 degrees so Y isn't involved ... it cuts perfectly. The problem is due to Z movements messing with Y.

Familiar problem anybody?
    Attached Images Attached Images