Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: control box not being recognized

Default control box not being recognized

Hello, I was carving early in the week..some max metal aluminum. I finished at set up carve for next day. when I came in, I warmed up machine and started shopbot software. it could not find the shopbot and would only go to preview mode...it says comm port seems ok but no connection. The light was flashing on inp light 4. Im worried this might mean motherboard needs replaced....any ideas?

Doug…

An issue I once had when running a composite aluminum panel… a very small aluminum shaving found its way inside my control box. A blast of compressed air returned everything to normal.

SG

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    Doug…

An issue I once had when running a composite aluminum panel… a very small aluminum shaving found its way inside my control box. A blast of compressed air returned everything to normal.

SG
    I tried blowing out the control box very carefully! No luck

Replace the USB cord then try another computer.

SG

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Haffner View Post
    I tried blowing out the control box very carefully! No luck
    Hey, uninstall sb and reload you will be fine, I went through new cable replaced pcbs , just needed to reinstall. let us know how it works out Thanks Jerry

Default Tried reinstall

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Carney View Post
    Hey, uninstall sb and reload you will be fine, I went through new cable replaced pcbs , just needed to reinstall. let us know how it works out Thanks Jerry
    Did a fresh install but no luck. Tried a new cable too… still no success.

How did you warm up if machine is not recognized? You have to get through SB3 initialization to get to the C5 command... Do you use a USB that is straight from the computer or go through a powered hub? Is it a Dell? Are the USB's set to never go idle? Either way, move USB to another USB connection point on computer or eliminate the powered hub and do some checking on signal from computer to USB for control box. When you said: "The light was flashing on input #4" - That would be as you are trying to initialize SB3 and after the computer is looking for the machine. I think input 4 is the signal for the E Stop across all ShopBot machines since??? .... and there are two e stops on a PRS Alpha. One on a PRS and I think the PRT's have at least one... Either (On a PRA Alpha) could be fouled up, but it is most likely that the one on the machine somehow got "triggered" - either by the button getting jostled out of place or some of the aluminum finding a way to create a mini-electron bridge across two wires- or something like that. Especially if the wires are bare outside the box, or insulation is nicked along it's path back to the box. Once you get computer to recognize machine, start checking the E Stop button(s) and connection(s). Engage the E stop button. Release the button. Multiple times. Blow it out (compressor). Do it again. After you check that the button has not been triggered and have cleaned it , and wires look good at E Stop "box", I would go to checking that the wires are not shorted with a flake of aluminum in the button box... at the board... things like that... Check for continuity from bare wire to the E Stop itself... both wires... If a modern PRS or PRS-A they should be wired in through little blue lego-looking electrical blocks in the control cabinet. It may not be that it is not recognizing- but that the E Stop is preventing it from going forward. - But the not recognizing the machine may be in the computer- where the USB is powered off the board or something (Flake of aluminum could get in there, too. Or any interfering coolant-and-dust mixture settling out of the air.... onto connections, etc. I think it is one of scratching the head and making sure to check that USB is getting power. Can check with any USB powered device- like a USB-to-phone-cable plus a phone that will light up when powered, or a thumb drive w a red light on it when powered)... I hope you have already figured it out and can report to us how you brilliantly solved the issue- and before you feel too tired to focus on it for tonight... Monty
    Last edited by MogulTx; 08-16-2021 at 10:57 PM.

I should explain…powering up the machine…I manually start the spindle and increase power. I’ll try to see if the e-stop is fouled up.

OK. The reason I asked the questions about where the USB is plugged in (Hub or port on machine) is that some machines have issues with a constant connection through a USB port. it is something about their port management software... The reason I asked if it is a Dell, is because I have had particular issues with the ports. ( I LOVE Dell. But Not the USB port issues...) I recommend using a powered USB HUB because ShopBot recommends it. I actually went away from my standard USB ports on my machine, and use a set that are run through a card I added to the machine (AND a powered HUB). It solved my communications issues.

Yes. Check the E Stop. Yes, try another computer if you have one available. It is not likely to be the controller board... and a call to SHopBot is probably recommended to get you going again...

Every computer I’ve tried says comm port 3 is not functioning.tried multiple USB ports.

And shows input #4 red even when machine isn’t turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by MogulTx View Post
    OK. The reason I asked the questions about where the USB is plugged in (Hub or port on machine) is that some machines have issues with a constant connection through a USB port. it is something about their port management software... The reason I asked if it is a Dell, is because I have had particular issues with the ports. ( I LOVE Dell. But Not the USB port issues...) I recommend using a powered USB HUB because ShopBot recommends it. I actually went away from my standard USB ports on my machine, and use a set that are run through a card I added to the machine (AND a powered HUB). It solved my communications issues.

Yes. Check the E Stop. Yes, try another computer if you have one available. It is not likely to be the controller board... and a call to SHopBot is probably recommended to get you going again...