Thread: My ShopBot Max came with a ShopBot blue vacuum. I turned it on and it spooled up

Default My ShopBot Max came with a ShopBot blue vacuum. I turned it on and it spooled up

and ran well, then, for an unknown reason it slowed down and the brushes on the motor started sparking. Shut it off right away. Contacted ShopBot and they said they could get me a new motor.

I'm not afraid to try stuff so I'm thinking I will take the motor off and see what's happening.

Anyone else have the same experience and could give me helpful tips?

Thanks in advance.

I have not had this trouble with a shopbot product, but I have had it with some "wetvac" motors that do not last a long time. I bought a motor from the OEM at an incredible (high) price. I then started looking for alternatives when the 2nd motor burned up. I now buy these little vacuum motors 3 at a time for like $29. Replacement parts are ugly on small stuff like this and finding a wholesaler to buy through is the way to go...

BUT: Initially. Of course you will want to work with shopbot, because they will stand behind their products. Make sure there is good airflow into the vacuum and check connections on the switch and see that you do not have a super-heated switch or plug (sign of a bad connection). I have replaced switches in rigid shopvacs often- may be a similar problem. (Often= 3-4 times in last 12 years...??)

With a couple hundred views and no responses, I guess I will take my toes back out of the water and go in a different direction by buying 80/20 off of Flee Bay and then being able to use either.