Thread: Former Colex user trying to learn my ShopBot. RPM Speed Question

Default Former Colex user trying to learn my ShopBot. RPM Speed Question

What is the max RPM I can run my table at, I have a PRSalpha 4 x 9 Gantry, I believe.

I am trying to get the glassy edges on acrylic, that I was able to get on the Colex table. I am pretty sure, I was cutting at 25-30000 rpm.

But, I am not sure I can run this spindle that fast. Seems the previous user has his RPMs all set at 18000

Thanks!
    Dave

If you have the standard spindle, the top is 18k. You should be able to get the same effect by slowing down the feeds.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

A couple tricks that I learned on acrylic. I start with a wrought pass leaving around 0.05". Then finish pass to size cut as a climb cut, high RMP and fast travel. Then use a torch on the finished surface to just barely melt material (flame polish). This will give a great edge finish. You may want to experiment on some scrap material to test what works out best.
    Take a look at this link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmd56UMHDK0

That’s a good suggestion Rob. I do a similar approach with decent results. With a little tuning you can get pretty decent quality but at some point you run up against these being aluminum framed machines.

Also that being a PRS alpha there’s a chance that it has a Colombo spindle capable of higher than 18k rpm.

Fast Travel! I need to try that, I was thinking slower travel might be the trick, and am down to .5 in/per. Its better then what we were getting before I started, but not what I am used to.

Back to the shop I go!

Dave

.5 IPS is waaaay to slow. Start at 3 to 4