Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proximity stop

Default Proximity stop

I just added a proximity switch on the Z axis of my PRT. I spliced it into the wires from the Y axis Proximity switch. All of the prox switches seem to work fine and show the correct input being triggered. Is my memory just too far gone or should triggering a proximity switch stop the machine? I thought it did and was the reason for adding the Z switch. Is there some setting I have missed?

Wayne,
    Have you done a TS, and checked the "I have a Z prox switch box"?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thanks Scott. I would never have thought of that but unfortunately it does not seem to give me the Z axis option for my PRT. I guess I need to call SB. If you or anyone els has some ideas, I am interested.

Am I right that it should stop when it hits a prox switch?

Hi Wayne,
    I thought about older machines about an hour after I posted.
    We bought in 2013 at 3.8.14 I think(3.8.50 for 2 yrs now), and were thinking to have high functioning Spectrum people up North as operators at a program up there.
    So we asked for 2X,2Y, and a Z prox....also a spindle interlock installed. All fabbed up and custom wired by Gordon as we were the first Desktop(and then ordered the second one)
    (so our two are wired different than when Z and spindle interlock became standard)

I remember finding old posts with custom Z-Zero programs back then for non-SBP3.8.** people, and some were sent to me(probably deleted since

Yep, If sensor is touched, machine and spindle stop with a "Stop Hit".
    Z-Zero routine is different also. It does the normal double tap on the plate, pauses a split second at "Safe Z" and then goes to Z-Prox.stops,and retracts .125".
    Good for manual tool changes!

Maybe Support, or if you give SB3 version....somebody will help?
    scott P.
    Maine

It's Early Wayne, but just remembered that the Z-Zero routine I described didn't come out till early 2016 with the Desktop's factory installed Z.
    Before that, it was just the double tap, and then retract to the Safe-Z in Cutter values.
    I will search after dawn for the Z-Zero routine and Z-Prox threads for early machines I may have saved on an older computer.
    MAY even be in one of my 2013 or 2014 posts.
    Cutting now(and finishing) so busy for 4 hrs minimum.
    AND phone guy coming out for the FOURTH time in 6 weeks to fix a problem when lines are wet....no internet all day yesterday....possibly today too.
    scott P.
    Maine

Scott,
    Thanks so much for your help. I will call SB later today. You have been very helpful. It has been a while since I sent the machine into the proximity switches (not counting zeroing} that I wasn't entirely certain that the machine stopped and you answered that.

Wayne, I wouldn't splice it in with the Y. Are your proxes NC or NO (splicing them and the type could cause a no sensing situation)? If your not sure, you can look to see what the X and Y is set up as in VN for input #2 and #3 and they should be as "Limit". You should have an open input that you can put the Z prox on, such as input #5 and then set that as NC or NO Limit. At that point, the Z should stop when the prox is tripped. If you are running an old version of SB3, the homing routine may not have a reference to the Z axis for homing and Z touch off, so those would need to be modified to suit.
    Scott

Thanks. VN and unsplicine the new sensor did it.

Glad capital "S" Scott helped you get it sussed out Wayne.
    scott P.
    Maine

I am setting up a Z prox also, so I am trying to follow along on this thread. My X and Y switches are wired into input #3 and I am using the exact same brand and model prox switch for the Z axis. So, if I wire the Z prox switch into input #3 also, it will not stop the Z-axis, only the X and Y axes?

If the above is true and I do the VN command and setup input #4, for example. Then I do the TS command and select that I have a Z axis prox. Where do you tell the SB3 software that input #4 is for the Z-axis?

Thanks
    PRT Alpha with 7.2 upgrade, indexer, and PC router