Thread: 3 1/2 years later....

Hybrid View

Default 3 1/2 years later....

....and what has changed, any updates on the path forward?

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...r-Modification

Hopefully JimmyD's keyholes are working better!
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    ....and what has changed, any updates on the path forward?

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...r-Modification

Hopefully JimmyD's keyholes are working better!
    Nothing has changed, and there will likely not be a forward path.

SB has fallen so far behind, that they can't afford to catch up to their competition.
    I noticed SB doesn't list pricing anymore, but I saw a reference to $30K, which I will assume is their flagship machine (Alpha).
    In that reference, it was asked what other machine could be purchased at that price, that exceeds the SB Alpha.
    I don't have personal experience with every machine, I do know people that own many different brands, that all come in around the $30K price, and far exceed the Alpha.
    There are many people importing larger machines, at significantly lower prices, and rave about them.

Doing any kind of search on quality cnc machines, SB is rarely referenced.
    I can remember, when SB was the biggest name, and I longed for one. Since those early days in 2005, I've witnessed a steady decline in SB overall.
    There wasn't any significant improvement/advancements, especially compared to the competition. And by 2009/10, there was a LOT of new competition, with
    new tech and better constructed machines. Nothing is bolt together these days.
    There was the decline on this forum. Less interaction, and fewer people posting. That seems to be an indicator of a loss in consumer following and support of the company.
    That could be a major contributor to the reason the company doesn't care to advance; there isn't a consumer base to appease to. There isn't a reason to reinvest into
    a failing company. I wouldn't expect SB to make it through 2022.

When I turn on the power, my expectations are simple. I want my machine to fire up EVERY time, I want it to remain reliable EVERY time, I want it to be accurate EVERY time, and also be rigid.
    Tah-Dah

When I was shopping for a machine back in 2012, I needed a "bolt together" machine to get it into my shop. The SB filled the bill and nearly 10 years later, is still pulling the load. While the SB may not be the best and certainly isn't the most up to date, it does what I want, when I want it. I've had very little problems with the machine, and it keeps on keeping on.

I would love to replace the entire USB system with something more robust and I hope 8ball isn't right that the company is swirling the bowl. It has been an incredibly long time since anything new came out of SB. Maybe they will pull through. I hope so.

A bad sign is the fact that this forum hasn't switched to an https interface yet. Virtually any site worth visiting now has https. It's a ten minute job to upgrade and zero cost. Like I said, a bad sign of their technical competence.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Sigh............ I only look at the forum a couple of times a week to see if there is anything new.... hoping for the announcement of a total upgrade to my old PRT alpha. I haven't turned on my Bot in perhaps 3 years, but I gave up due to continual Com Errors. Like Coryatjohn, I needed a bolt-together machine as I had to get this into my basement shop.......... That feature alone could keep them viable if they updated their control system........... Sigh............. Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Keysor View Post
    Sigh............ I only look at the forum a couple of times a week to see if there is anything new.... hoping for the announcement of a total upgrade to my old PRT alpha. I haven't turned on my Bot in perhaps 3 years, but I gave up due to continual Com Errors. Like Coryatjohn, I needed a bolt-together machine as I had to get this into my basement shop.......... That feature alone could keep them viable if they updated their control system........... Sigh............. Chuck
    If a bolt-together machine is necessary, there are other more viable options available for that as well. Take a look at the one located in Washington. They offer complete packages, or buy pieces as you want to expand, and they come in a standard and pro versions.
    SB owners have pigeon holed themselves, and as you Chuck, have let their machine set idle for extended periods, because of issues and not wanting to troubleshoot just to cut a few parts.
    For the price of a SB, I expect it to work every time, not sometimes. Purchasing a $500 toy, problems are expected, but not when shelling out thousands.
    It doesn't matter how good customer service or tech support might be, when they need to be called 95% of the times the machine is turned on. For businesses, that is money down the drain, and for hobbyists, it takes all of the fun out of it.

As I've seen several people mention, SB needs a complete overhaul, from the bottom up. A failing company isn't going to invest that kind of time or cost, when they won't even answer their current customers with a fix for the simple issues.
    Tah-Dah

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    It doesn't matter how good customer service or tech support might be, when they need to be called 95% of the times the machine is turned on.
    Now that's completely unfair. I, for instance, have no such fear and will turn my machine on with every expectation that it works every time. So there are good machines with reliable records.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

What I see more and more is people posting their SB machines for sale as they move to more current and better technology. This forum is dying off.

It is sad that SB hasn't kept up. My machine has been a workhorse since 2009 cutting hundreds of sheets of plywood per year along with many other projects. Every Monday morning, when I turn it on, I cross my fingers that it will boot up and connect. That says a lot right there. Many, many times I've shut if off on Friday, turned it Monday morning and spent the day troubleshooting, trying to figure out why this or that wouldn't work. VERY frustrating! SB tech support has continued to be reliable and very good.

I sincerely hope SB can get things figured out and move forward.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.