Thread: Does anyone here do gold leaf?

Default Does anyone here do gold leaf?

I have a small project that I would like to apply gold leaf to the letters. Never done so, don't know how to start.

Tips etc????

Sepp Gold Leaf, https://seppleaf.com, in NYC is one of the premier sources for gold leaf and supplies. Their website has some tutorials. Michaels and others sell imitation gold leaf which is copper based. Some art supply stores will have some gold leaf.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out. I'm carving a name into a boom gallows for my son's catboat.

Sundaycat.jpg

It is the piece of teak on which the mast and boom are resting in the picture.

I'm probably too late but letterheadsignsupply.com has tutorials as well as selling leaf, paints and other supplies. If you are putting gold into carved letters it's not really that hard. One thing I'd recommend is using GOOD gold leaf like paint as your layer under the actual leaf. That way any cracks/mistakes won't be as obvious. Sign Painters one shot makes a really good gold leaf paint that is almost as good as the real thing. You will need to put down a layer of paint/sealer/etc. that will best match your wood before putting down the imitation paint. If you can find a copy at a library, "gold leaf techniques" is a great book. It's available to buy as well, but IIRC is about $50. good luck and PM me if you need more info.