Thread: need a bit reccomendation

Default need a bit reccomendation

cutting 3.75" thick pine. would like to be able to cut all the way through. Will take some messing about to max out my Z but not going to try if i can't find a bit.
    "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" - Me

If you're looking for an end mill that will cut that deep, you'll probably be looking a half inch diameter with an six inch length.

If all you have is a 6" Z, then you're probably going to be in a difficult situation.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

yea, thats about what I was thinking. for sure 1/2" shank. I do have a 6" Z but I actually get about 7" and can squeeze a little extra out of it. I found a straight cut router bit with a 3" LOC and can make that work but was hopping somebody might know where I can get something a smidge longer.
    "The most valuable tool I have is the experience of others" - Me

I wouldn't be concerned about going deeper than the LOC with a large end mill. I suggest having a vacuum or air gun in hand when going deep to blow the chips away if they accumulate. In my experience, it hardly matters with the 1/2" end mills. I'd stay away from a straight cut since the chips won't be pumped out. A normal two flute upcut would probably be the best. As long as you can get the end mill over the piece, you should be fine.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Amana Tool 51325 Carbide Tipped Stagger Tooth Plunge 1/2 D x 3-1/2 CH x 1/2 Inch SHK Router Bit (toolstoday.com) Do as as coryatjohn suggests OR
    Leave the 1/4" pull the piece from the table flip it over and use a hand held router with
    Amana Tool 47100 Carbide Tipped Flush Trim 3/8 D x 1 CH x 1/4 SHK x 2-5/8 Inch Long Router Bit w/ Lower Ball Bearing (toolstoday.com) There are many ways to skin a cat. ;-)