Thread: Prusa MK3S+ 3D Printer

Default Prusa MK3S+ 3D Printer

This thread has nothing to do with Shopbot but I wanted to add it anyway.

I've been using a Prusa MK3S+ printer now for about three months and have found it to be an excellent bit of kit. I've made over 75 prints and every one has been successful. The print quality is quite good and the setup for a print is simple and repeatable.

I'm using off the shelf Amazon Basic PLA filament and all the default settings for temperatures.

If you're in the market for a 3D printer, the Prusa line is quite good. Prusa just announced a new printer to their lineup, the XL which has a 14"x14"x14" build volume and an ATC for hot swapping print heads. Price is pretty steep at $2500+ but these machines work! I ordered one yesterday.

What's your experience with 3D printing? What machine would you recommend?
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I've dabbled with a Ender3 pro from Creality and found it to be a great value. Your Prusa probably has a better print quality, but I'm making stuff for around the house, around the shop, and models for furniture at work.
    I'm starting to have some issues with print bed adhesion, but I'm sure that is user error and need to search YouTube a fix for it.

One of the reasons I selected Prusa is the bed system. It's a flexible steel sheet held to the bed with magnets. Three coatings are offered on the steel sheets: Smooth, Textured, and Satin. Mine came with the satin sheet and it works perfectly with PLA.

The thing I really like about the MK3S+ is that I just don't have to concern myself with any of the minutia of the 3D printing process. I just design and print.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I bought a Mk3 and have done all the upgrades and also love it- I use only PETG by the way. Also bought a Prusa Mini and that is just as good and fits in my coupe for the trip to the Keys every Feb.

I've had so much success with PLA that I haven't tried anything else. At this point, I'm kind of afraid to change anything since it works so perfectly well. I ordered the XL with two extruder tools which will make playing with other filaments and nozzle sizes a lot easier and less risky.

What do you like about PETG?
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Here's the latest thing I'm working on. It's a gasket for an automotive application, about 13"x8". The gasket is quite complicated and requires a silicone mold to produce. I designed the prototype using Fusion 360. The fixture, cheap MDF cut on the Shopbot, is going to be used for the next phase, which is shaping the prototype by sanding and polishing.
    Attachment 34799
    PXL_20211119_194504716.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by coryatjohn; 11-19-2021 at 02:59 PM.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I too have a Prusa MK3S+ as well as a much less expensive Elegoo Neptune 2. The Prusa is clearly the superior printer with a higher percentage of Prusa prints being successful and of higher quality. Having said that, the Elegoo is very good with both printers creating braille and smaller raised signs, custom keychains and custom whistles for the local Coast Guard Auxiliary. Other items I've printed include custom hold downs for the Shopbot, battery holders for my Dewalt power tools, custom right angle brackets and other stuff I've forgotten about. PLA and PETG so far......

You sold me on the XL- the electronics on the Mini [and XL] is really superior to the MK3- and both print PETG flawlessly. I have always used Simplify3d software and have not spent much time on the Prusa software- altho the .STL to mesh converter is excellent. PETG is much superior to PLA by the way. I have a friend who is an ex-submariner and works now as a civilian with the submarine forces- subs now have 3D printers and they use... PETG.