Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking thru previous sub-forums, it seems to me that this site has had

Default Looking thru previous sub-forums, it seems to me that this site has had

a significant decrease in traffic over the years.

If so, what do you think is the cause?

Bud…

Many of the friends we’ve made here over the years are still in the CNC industry… just with different brand machines! Some still check in here even though they are fabricating under different colors.

Why did they move on? Some situations of which I’m aware: they were very successful and had to move on to bigger, better, more reliable tools… ShopBot leadership would never admit defeat with their connection problems… Other, offshore tools beat ShopBot pricewise and now even in reliability. Many stateside manufacturers have done what it takes to become competitive. In my humble opinion, ShopBot directed much of their research, development, and design efforts toward the HandiBot… an overpriced toy where there are tons of other players.

I still use my PRT Alpha daily, but I was never more disappointed with it than when I operated one of my customer’s Shopsabre machine… granted, it’s a massive tool that required a rigging company to deliver and set it up, but ShopBot has kept their erecter set mentality and don’t even offer an “industrial” tool.

Also… CNC routing is a more mature industry now. Folks used to come to the forum to ask questions and learn… those questions have been asked and answered!

SG

To expound on Steve's comments, there has not been much in the way of progress on the bigger machines. This market is no longer owned my ShopBot. They gave it up by focusing more on hobby types of machines then machines that can be used to run a business with. I use my PRSAlpha 96x60 with ATC regularly. But I'm getting ready to retire so I won't invest in a new machine. No longer need the production capabilities. At its peak PRSAlpha machines were the standard. They are now YEARS behind the competition. If ShopBot management had payed more attention to this market and continued to move their machines forward, they would still be a big player. Most of the posts I see here now are people selling their machines and moving to more advanced machines.

Very sad this has happened. But I think ShopBot management lost touch with its user base and ignored the suggestions and recommendations that experienced users were providing that could have made a big difference in where they would be today.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Please also note that this forum is running http: (not secure) instead of the now defacto https: (secure). Seems like someone is just not keeping up with the times.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I cut my teeth on a Shopbot machine...going to an event at headquarters in 2007. I purchased a 48x96 PRT in 2008 and used it part-time for years. I decided to go to a smaller unit as I was using most of my table as a storage area! Eric Schimelpfenig purchased the machine from me and it is still in use, although he has heavily modified it. I wanted to go to the new desktop max...but it was going to be delayed by another 6 months so I went to another manufacturer (yellow). I regularly log in to the forum as I do have friends here. I too have noticed the decline in traffic - unfortunate.
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5

I had 3 shopbot's over the years and started repairing and selling machines. I'm glad I bought the first bot, but there is just a lot more (bang for the buck) machines out there now. The yellow lost comm screen drove me away the most.
    Kenneth

Shopbot is on the path towards eventual dissolution. They stopped innovating years ago and now are essentially eating their seed corn. Unless Shopbot makes a major investment in new technology and addresses the shortcomings in the existing machines, the company will simply cease to exist. How long will that take? Frankly, I'm surprised they made it this far.

I'm in the minority of folks that haven't had any issues with their machine. But every time I look at that skinny USB cable and the Rube Goldbergesque collection of gadgets that permit my machine to operate, I see that I am one tiny spark away from a litany of irritating and frustrating failures with no solution other than replacing the entire control system with non-SB equipment and software.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I'm curious about the innovations that people are referring to for CNC machines from other manufacturers. Admittedly I am out of touch with the machines that are up to date with the latest developments. My Shopbot turned 15 this summer and since I am a hobbyist I haven't had a reason to check out new machines. What do the new CNC machines have that Shopbot does not have?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by phil_o View Post
    I'm curious about the innovations that people are referring to for CNC machines from other manufacturers. Admittedly I am out of touch with the machines that are up to date with the latest developments. My Shopbot turned 15 this summer and since I am a hobbyist I haven't had a reason to check out new machines. What do the new CNC machines have that Shopbot does not have?

Phil
    Can you say "Control system"? The current SB offering looks like (and is) a throwback to 2000 Visual Basic. The SB machine code is non-standard (G-Code is the standard). The USB interface is weak and prone to failures. The entire system is way too sensitive to even minor static electrical discharge.

Lucky for me, I have zero problems but know that I am one static shock away from a total system failure.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

1. The biggest advances are not getting the dreaded "Lost Comms" in the middle of a 6 hour cutting job and you have to start over.

2. Much higher cutting and jogging speeds (huge advantage for production shops, not a big concern for hobby users)

3. Less flex and slop in the machine. I've had my PRSAlpha since 2009 and no matter how much I tweak and adjust, the machine has significant flex. Makes for less than optimal M&T joinery in my cabinet parts

4. Much more up to date and functional control software. Provides more control over the machine and better feedback on what the machine is doing.

These are just to name a few. I'm not sure what ShopBot could do to catch up.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.