4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

It would take up a third of my tiny space!
    Desktops have their place.
    2 and 2.5D with smooth curves and different form bits would be the way to go at that size!
    3D would take forever, as even mine has 19 hour cuts with Tiny bits.
    Each machine has it's own place.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Yes, I bought a new machine. 6' x 10' PRS-alpha with a 5hp 3 phase spindle and ATC and vacuum hold-down plus the Aspire software. Buying American made (even if they outsource the motors, etc.) is important to me. I make outdoor electrical signs and wanted to be able to cut 6x8 sheets, 4x10 sheets, etc. TBH I should have gotten the 6' x 12' machine but that would have meant COMPLETLY re-arranging my shop. I'm small fry but the big sign shops have machines up to 10' x 20' or even larger. The first order I got was for an 11' long sign. My machine wasn't up and running yet so I sent it to one of my suppliers who routed it for me. Yes I know that I can panel/tile jobs but 12' sheets are fairly common (if expensive) in sign materials - aluminum, HDU, plastics, etc. I really could have used this for a job earlier in the year when we made 54" illuminated letters with a 72" lit logo.

At first it was going to be a buddy, then a buddy with the extra length arms (to cut 4x8 sheets). However that would take up too much floor space (for what it cuts) because of moving back/forth. Plus it can't have a vac hold-down. Then it was supposed to be a 4x8 gantry, then 5x8... I did a lot of research and kept hearing from sign people to "buy your 2nd or 3rd machine first" so I got the biggest one I could fit in here. As one example of what I do, I am cutting some 5' x 8' 0.125 aluminum sheets (just rectangles cut out of the full sheet) next week. Well, once the material arrives.

I've been using it as a manual machine until I can find the time to set up the ATC. I cut up a 4x8 sheet of ACM last night and the vac worked like a charm - even if I did have to cover up parts of the air zones with extra ACM cut-offs. ACM is a sheet of solid (supposedly recycled) plastic with a thin layer of aluminum on each face.

I really want to do 3D signs and get out of the electrical game. However, I'm realistic and the 3D stuff is just playtime for me. Well, at least for now.

I'll stop here before I write my usual 'novel'. Sign people deal in words and we do run off at the mouth/keyboard all too easily.

Rocco - Curious why you selected Shopbot over other manufacturers. Don't see many new SB owners on this forum anymore.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I've noticed that the ShopBot Facebook groups are more active than the forum has been recently, though not sure why that is?

And I can't speak for Rocco and his specific reason for buying a ShopBot, but we have shipped 20 tools this week so ShopBots are selling and shipping. This is a (sideways I'm afraid!) picture of one of the trucks being loaded today:

shipping 12_10.jpg
    Last edited by bill.young; 12-10-2021 at 02:16 PM. Reason: double posted image

Quote Originally Posted by bill.young View Post
    I've noticed that the ShopBot Facebook groups are more active than the forum has been recently, though not sure why that is?

And I can't speak for Rocco and his specific reason for buying a ShopBot, but we have shipped 20 tools this week so ShopBots are selling and shipping. This is a (sideways I'm afraid!) picture of one of the trucks being loaded today:

shipping 12_10.jpg
    That's great! I never use Facebook as it's the Devil's work.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Quote Originally Posted by bill.young View Post

I'm glad to see Shopbot is still shipping some larger tools. :-)
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I didn't know there was a FB page for shopbot. I really don't use FB all that much but will check it out. i really think that message boards are going the way of the dinosaurs because of FB and all the other social media options. The biggest US sign magazine used to have a rocking message board, but its very dead in recent years other than trucks for sale. I'm a dinosaur myself so...

i went to their basic training, saw how they make the machines, etc. And as an aside, have been jonesing for a Bojangles breakfast biscuit sandwich ever since. Also, their tech support is available til 9pm and even on weekends - and they answer quickly. Plus they are American made - even if certain components are imported. I'm a small manufacturer of signs (tiny actually) and am seeing an growing influx of complete signs from china. Even with shipping costs, now rising, a few of my customers buy signs from china. I do a LOT of installation work for national sign companies (some with HUGE CNC machines - like 10' x 20', maybe bigger) and even some of the "we'll never buy from china" have been getting things from there. I.E. one customer who has a 200,000 square foot facility gets small brass fabricated letters from the far east for less than what it would cost them for the materials here in the US.

As I mentioned above, i wanted to just buy a machine once and be done with it so I got as large as I could fit in my workshop (2500 sq ft). And I still wish I'd gotten the 6' x 12' machine. I know someone who has a Laguna and while he doesn't complain about the machine, he does say that getting parts is a PIA. One time I bought a vinyl plotter on the cheap from a company that only sells imports and it was a nightmare getting tech support and parts. it took six months to get an interface card. Recently I damaged my dust foot (totally my own fault) and Shopbot sent me one under warranty and I got it in two days. Their salesman, Buddy Warner, even called me and helped to walk me though a few steps of getting the machine going for very first cuts. Thanks buddy! It's nice old Southern hospitality on their part. And I just felt comfortable dealing with them. Even if it costs a bit more it's worth it to me to have good customer service with a supplier.

And before I run off at the mouth/keyboard anymore than this I'll stop here.

Rocco - I had the same opinion when I bought mine back in 2013. I've had virtually no problems that weren't caused by fluctuations in the actual power so I'm a happy camper.

If your machine is setup and grounded properly, then you should get years of excellent service from your machine. The support, as you've already found out, is very good. I haven't used them much but when I have asked, I got a good answer quickly.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool