Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first cuts with new shopbot - ragged edges

Hybrid View

On the left is a 225 point capitol letter S saved as a JPG, brought into Aspire and shows the segmented line interpretation. On the right is 225 point capitol letter S showing that a vector S will give you smooth edges and the other . . . . Russ

Attached Images Attached Images
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Folks,

Lots of food for thought. Thank you!

i did rework the file and made it a baked 3d model, then re-cut. It would have been just about perfect except that I forgot that when I baked the model, it came out much shallower. The original was about 1.4" (cut from 1.5" HDU) and cut fine - no machine issues I mean. The baked model, being shallower caused the machine to bottom out, the dust foot came off, teh skirt got chewed up, etc. The parts that were cut before the foot came loose looked much better, though still not perfect. I'm too busy with work right now to do (the sign business gets crazy at this time of year) a third test cut but next week I'll try again and report back with the result.

I know that this is just the beginning of a long journey but at least I've started. It took nearly a year from delivery (due to covid and all electrical contractors being swamped) to get the 3 phase power run and hooked up. i have another question about speeds on ball nose bits but will start a separate thread on that.

Thanks!

Rocco

What machine do you have? Did you actually buy a brand new Shopbot?
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Oh my. That's a big one.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

It would take up a third of my tiny space!
    Desktops have their place.
    2 and 2.5D with smooth curves and different form bits would be the way to go at that size!
    3D would take forever, as even mine has 19 hour cuts with Tiny bits.
    Each machine has it's own place.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Yes, I bought a new machine. 6' x 10' PRS-alpha with a 5hp 3 phase spindle and ATC and vacuum hold-down plus the Aspire software. Buying American made (even if they outsource the motors, etc.) is important to me. I make outdoor electrical signs and wanted to be able to cut 6x8 sheets, 4x10 sheets, etc. TBH I should have gotten the 6' x 12' machine but that would have meant COMPLETLY re-arranging my shop. I'm small fry but the big sign shops have machines up to 10' x 20' or even larger. The first order I got was for an 11' long sign. My machine wasn't up and running yet so I sent it to one of my suppliers who routed it for me. Yes I know that I can panel/tile jobs but 12' sheets are fairly common (if expensive) in sign materials - aluminum, HDU, plastics, etc. I really could have used this for a job earlier in the year when we made 54" illuminated letters with a 72" lit logo.

At first it was going to be a buddy, then a buddy with the extra length arms (to cut 4x8 sheets). However that would take up too much floor space (for what it cuts) because of moving back/forth. Plus it can't have a vac hold-down. Then it was supposed to be a 4x8 gantry, then 5x8... I did a lot of research and kept hearing from sign people to "buy your 2nd or 3rd machine first" so I got the biggest one I could fit in here. As one example of what I do, I am cutting some 5' x 8' 0.125 aluminum sheets (just rectangles cut out of the full sheet) next week. Well, once the material arrives.

I've been using it as a manual machine until I can find the time to set up the ATC. I cut up a 4x8 sheet of ACM last night and the vac worked like a charm - even if I did have to cover up parts of the air zones with extra ACM cut-offs. ACM is a sheet of solid (supposedly recycled) plastic with a thin layer of aluminum on each face.

I really want to do 3D signs and get out of the electrical game. However, I'm realistic and the 3D stuff is just playtime for me. Well, at least for now.

I'll stop here before I write my usual 'novel'. Sign people deal in words and we do run off at the mouth/keyboard all too easily.

Rocco - Curious why you selected Shopbot over other manufacturers. Don't see many new SB owners on this forum anymore.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I've noticed that the ShopBot Facebook groups are more active than the forum has been recently, though not sure why that is?

And I can't speak for Rocco and his specific reason for buying a ShopBot, but we have shipped 20 tools this week so ShopBots are selling and shipping. This is a (sideways I'm afraid!) picture of one of the trucks being loaded today:

shipping 12_10.jpg
    Last edited by bill.young; 12-10-2021 at 02:16 PM. Reason: double posted image

Quote Originally Posted by bill.young View Post
    I've noticed that the ShopBot Facebook groups are more active than the forum has been recently, though not sure why that is?

And I can't speak for Rocco and his specific reason for buying a ShopBot, but we have shipped 20 tools this week so ShopBots are selling and shipping. This is a (sideways I'm afraid!) picture of one of the trucks being loaded today:

shipping 12_10.jpg
    That's great! I never use Facebook as it's the Devil's work.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool