Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: first cuts with new shopbot - ragged edges

Question first cuts with new shopbot - ragged edges

Hi all,

After much trials and tribulations i've finally gotten this beastie up and running. While I'll be doing mostly aluminum cutting for signs, I had some HDU to play with. See the attached photos of a Phila Eagles logo that I just cut. It was done in Aspire and the original 2d was imported from Corel as a PDF. The preview didn't look as bad as the final cut. I've used this artwork to cut sign vinyl before and it came out with smooth curves. Is this just a case of the machine following the paths more exactly that my sign plotter or am I doing something wrong? Maybe I just need to smooth the curves better. I did forget to include a last pass so that might help and also should be using a smaller bit to get further into the tight spots.

Bits used if that matters.
    1/2" 2 flute straight bit - roughing
    1/8" ball nose - 'final pass'
    1/4" end mill - profile pass

Thanks!

20211202_170451.jpg20211202_170646.jpg

Rocco,
    Lots of stuff on the Vectric Forum to reduce "Jaggies"...here's just one thread;
    https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic....aggies#p277553

A LOT has to do on the job setup Resolution and job size to pack as many pixels in a given area to "smooth" pixelation....here's just one thread on it;
    https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?t=29972

Resolution MUST be done on 3Ds Before you import them.
    (changing resolution after import does nothing to anything already imported)
    Hope I'm understanding your problem correctly.

LOTS more on the subject in the Vectric forum!
    scott

OH..... forgot for a second....the 2 highest Resolutions are Not visible unless Shift key is held down when pressing Start a New Job;
    https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?t=32398
    I use 50X a lot...and really does slow down toolpath calculations, but with time saved sanding and prep afterwards, it's Worth it!
    Last edited by scottp55; 12-02-2021 at 06:05 PM.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

"Normally" - don't you just love that word. . . . in my limited experience this is caused because the imported image came from a DXF file and not a vector based file. The DXF does not support smooth bezier curves such as those from most cad programs. In Aspire switch to the "NODE" mode and look at that same toolpath. It is probably exactly what your machine just cut. Just a thought, Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Russ, you are right on the money. Files without smooth curves makes for a pretty ragged looking carving. I always take any imported projects and go into NODE editing to smooth curves and eliminate the MANY points associated with imported files.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Nodes that bad would be easily seen without going into node editing.

"1/8" ball nose - final pass" Was this final pass a 3D toolpath?
    Scott

Hi all,
    Thanks for the info. I've attached a screen shot of the nodes from a small section. They "look" smooth enough. If you zoom in you can see how jagged the original imported file was. This is from the original artwork I got from the Eagles (I did a banner for them for my wifes school back in '12) and it was an EPS file.

What I did was just import the file from Corel and then made toolpaths from the various layers. What I did NOT do for the first cut was make a 3D model, which I have since done (screen shot below) with smoothing applied. I should have realized that I needed to do this because I had cut another 3D model that I'd made of my daughters school mascot. That one (while still not perfect - which I don't expect at this point), was much smoother.

I'll re-cut it over the weekend and report back.

eagles nodes screen shot.jpg

eagles smoothed model R1.jpg

The "jaggies" you see in the one screenshot is pixelation due to model resolution. A 3D toolpath will follow this and depending on bit diameter and stepover, will yeild poor edge quality. Tips to reduce this....bump up the modeling resolution in job setup and make the job size as close as possible to your part size. There are two higher resolutions than the normal three that can be accessed by holding shift when clicking on the job setup icon. This will make the pixels smaller, thus smoothing out the edges, and the ballnose tool will leave a better edge. Along with that, use no more than 8% - 10% stepover, and apply a slight draft angle to the walls to allow the tool to ramp up to an over the wall instead of coming to a stop at the wall edge before raising up.
    Scott

On the left is a 225 point capitol letter S saved as a JPG, brought into Aspire and shows the segmented line interpretation. On the right is 225 point capitol letter S showing that a vector S will give you smooth edges and the other . . . . Russ

Attached Images Attached Images
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Folks,

Lots of food for thought. Thank you!

i did rework the file and made it a baked 3d model, then re-cut. It would have been just about perfect except that I forgot that when I baked the model, it came out much shallower. The original was about 1.4" (cut from 1.5" HDU) and cut fine - no machine issues I mean. The baked model, being shallower caused the machine to bottom out, the dust foot came off, teh skirt got chewed up, etc. The parts that were cut before the foot came loose looked much better, though still not perfect. I'm too busy with work right now to do (the sign business gets crazy at this time of year) a third test cut but next week I'll try again and report back with the result.

I know that this is just the beginning of a long journey but at least I've started. It took nearly a year from delivery (due to covid and all electrical contractors being swamped) to get the 3 phase power run and hooked up. i have another question about speeds on ball nose bits but will start a separate thread on that.

Thanks!

Rocco

What machine do you have? Did you actually buy a brand new Shopbot?
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool