Thread: 3D carves 2021

Threaded View

Default 3D carves 2021

I haven't cut or posted as much as usual this year, but from a comment(thanks Evan)...I'll catch up now gradually.

Last January I had to rush a Kitten/Butterfly for my stepmom's birthday.
    I wanted to have the butterfly a different color than the kitten, so searched for pieces with a heart/sap line to use.

The best piece seemed to be a gifted length of Australian Red Ironbark. So cutoff one end, surfaced "top" after shimming to save as much sapwood as possible.
    Then surfaced the other 5 sides and sanded all to 600G so what I saw would be what I got.
    NOT a lot of info on the heavy (1.15 specific gravity), and all I could find was a Janka over 3,000, and "Does not take detail well" (Wrong)

Pretty straightforward cut except for changing model size and height numerous times to have butterfly In the sapwood.
    I aimed for the small rectangle that the cut had to be in shown on the endgrain pic.

I didn't totally get it because of the pudgy kittens paws, but it was close enough...and stepmom called him "Two Socks" and loved it!
    (sorry no better finished pics, but stepmom made a visit from Vermont unexpectedly and he went out the door with 5 coats on him and finished pics forgotten)
    For full details, I did post it complete on Vectric Forum as I cut;
    https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36645

I was working on the next one while he was finishing, and it was a lot more interesting from a cutting standpoint...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine