Thread: Recreating these rosettes and medallions PLEASE HELP!

Hybrid View

I totally agree with Coryatjohn's recommendation to make molds and then cast the new parts you need.

1) The original parts are almost certainly made of cast composition or maybe plaster, not wood. (Look at Chicago Decorative Supply, their catalog has parts they have cast for way more than 100 years... https://decoratorssupply.com this is how they did such work unless a mansion was being made for Cornelius Vanderbilt.) And if the original parts are cast as I expect, you will note that they are exactly identical to each other, and they will have a huge amount of detail. Molding these parts is then in the spirit of the original work, as well as providing exact matches, that are highly detailed.

2) CNC carving these parts will be very time consuming even with off the shelf designs, especially if you aren't pleased with the detail and then add manual undercuts, and do chisel work etc to improve their detail (as I did on the few times I made Victorian replacement parts). Chances are, the new parts will never match even if you model them yourself.

Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Thumbs up medallions

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Keysor View Post
    I totally agree with Coryatjohn's recommendation to make molds and then cast the new parts you need.

1) The original parts are almost certainly made of cast composition or maybe plaster, not wood. (Look at Chicago Decorative Supply, their catalog has parts they have cast for way more than 100 years... https://decoratorssupply.com this is how they did such work unless a mansion was being made for Cornelius Vanderbilt.) And if the original parts are cast as I expect, you will note that they are exactly identical to each other, and they will have a huge amount of detail. Molding these parts is then in the spirit of the original work, as well as providing exact matches, that are highly detailed.

2) CNC carving these parts will be very time consuming even with off the shelf designs, especially if you aren't pleased with the detail and then add manual undercuts, and do chisel work etc to improve their detail (as I did on the few times I made Victorian replacement parts). Chances are, the new parts will never match even if you model them yourself.

Chuck
    they have a impressive catalog