Thread: Wall Switch Plate

Default Wall Switch Plate

Hey folks,

Does anyone have a design file for making a wall switch plate out of wood. I know you can purchase wood switch plates but I need to make it out of exotic wood.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

One of my first projects was making a number of oak switch and outlet plates for our family room. They turned out pretty nice. Very simple to model.

A potential code problem exists with pure wood faceplates. They need a layer of metal between the electrics and the outside in case of a short circuit in a switch. I bought a box of cheap metal switch plates and trimmed off the outside edges to do that. Again, very simple.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Coryatjohn,

Any chance you would be willing to share your plates?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by coryatjohn View Post
    One of my first projects was making a number of oak switch and outlet plates for our family room. They turned out pretty nice. Very simple to model.

A potential code problem exists with pure wood faceplates. They need a layer of metal between the electrics and the outside in case of a short circuit in a switch. I bought a box of cheap metal switch plates and trimmed off the outside edges to do that. Again, very simple.
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

Afraid that was nearly 10 years and several computers ago.

I suggest buying a couple of cheap covers, new ones, in several sizes. Find which one covers your outlets and switches completely (there are three sizes if my memory serves) and use that as a model. I machined both sides as there's an indent on the back and countersinks and decorative work on the front. It's important to keep in mind that the thickness where the switch sticks out and the screws go in that's very limited. I seem to remember the max is like a 1/16th of an inch. So some sort of raised decorative work on the front keeps it stable.

Here's a picture I found of a switch plate.

IMG_20130511_094106.jpg

Here's a four banger.

IMG_20130418_180934.jpg
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Thanks folks for your comments and suggestions, especially on the metal between the cover and outlet.

I am going to try to design one in Aspire.