Thread: Spindle cleaning

Default Spindle cleaning

Hi there,

We have a PRS Alpha 120-60-6 router with a GC RS90/2FP1SBCPE25DX spindle for almost 12 years now. I just took over the CNC duties from the company's previous CNC operator.

During longer routing operations, 30 minutes+, the spindle feels extremely hot. The spindle's cooling fan is working correctly, the bearings seems to be okay (no noise), etc.

My suspicion is that the fan might have sucked in a lot of dust over time, and the spindle isn't cooling properly anymore. I've opened the top cover of the spindle holding the fan and gently blew in compressed air. Some dust came out but it doesn't seem that the spindle's heatsink and motor are caked in dust.

I've tried to find more detailed spindle cleaning instructions online but unfortunately without success.

Do you have any recommendations in that regard? Maybe a hot spindle is normal...

Thank you for your help in advance!

Erwin

I've been running an ATC spindle for a couple of years, 8 hours a day. My spindle dos run hot, even with the fan. Probably to hot to touch, comfortably, is a little to hot. You can take the fan assembly off the top of the spindle and check to make sure nothing is clogged up. Some medium pressure air should clean things out. I wouldn't go HIGH pressure air though.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Thanks, Don!