Thread: Form Tools: .25 inch round over bit

Default Form Tools: .25 inch round over bit

Hi there.

By reading various threads, I was able to create a 1/4" round-over "form tool" in V-Carve Pro. After setting it up and previewing the toolpath, it looked perfect.

When I tried to run it on my machine, the program sent up an error that said, "Parameter Value Below Range for VS -- Setting to Lower Limit (.05)!"

I clicked OK.....it popped up again.....I clicked OK again.

Then it started going to the correct location. When it got there, it lowered to Z 0.925 and then hung. Just stopped there (line 33). I imagine the two "warnings" were for the next two lines, but I have no idea.

Any thoughts on why this is happening? This is a pretty short bit compared to my other ones, but it shouldn't do this.

Thanks.

Most likely the speed setting for that bit in your tool database is set too low. Open the file in the ShopBot Editor and see what the numbers are after the line that starts with "MS" or "VS"...it will be toward the start of the file My guess is that those speed settings are set really low and will need to be updated in your Tool Database in VCarve or Aspire.

Bill

You can type "FE" in shopbot SB3. This is the file editing mode. You will get a file open that is all text. After the header, will be where you want to modify. Depending on your machine type and the software load you run, you will get some slightly different info in the text, so I am just going to tell you about what I think you need.

Go to the top tool bar and look for the edit, and click on that. There will be a drop down menu and you will want to click on "Find". Then type "MS" in the pop up box. This will bring you to the move speed line. That line will say something like: "MS,1.8,0.6"- except I believe your numbers will be much lower. Modify them to say "MS,2.75,0.99" and "Save" I think it will run pretty well for you from there. ANd remember, if it is running too slow and burning your edge, you can use "Shift >" to speed up the travel.... You can use it repeatedly, and it will keep raising your speed. Alternately you can use "Shift <" and it will LOWER your MS speed. I do not know how to change the vertical speed while the machine is operating- but you now know you can stop the machine and change speeds, or redirect it while it is under way... Best of luck to you.

Thanks. It was me being a dummy. I didn't even think to look at the speeds, and it was in inches per minute. I typically set feedrates in inches per second, so I had it going 2 inches per minute. Ugh....

I cannot brain. I have the dumb.