Thread: Drawbar did not open properly. ATC 269

Default Drawbar did not open properly. ATC 269

Trying to get someone to help on this error msg.
    Sometimes when lucky the tool changes successfully but most of the time not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My issue was not enough air. I changed to a 80 gallon 2-stage compressor and I have not had an ATC problem since, other than the usual, occasional Shopbot brainfart.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I have 20 gal 220v 4hp single phase california air tools compressor. I have a feeling that is not enough when other things are running off it. Thank you.

Definitely not enough air.

Page 5 of the ATC Manual

"The 5HP HSD spindle assembly is fan cooled - in the lower part it has air cooled bearings. The ATC requires 6-7 cfm @ 90 psi of compressed air; PORTABLE AIR COMPRESSORS ARE NOT RECOMMENDED as they can have trouble keeping this pressure reliably and have a reduced service life. "

I'd recommend buying a quality commercial/light industrial compressor like an Ingersoll T30 series. The 5hp version does around 16 CFM and the 7.5hp version does around 24 CFM. I have the 7.5hp version with the premium package, which includes auto tank purge, low oil shut off and aftercooler/radiator (you'll want those things for a few hundred more). It's not cheap, but...if you buy a GOOD compressor, and maintain it, it will most likely be the last one you'll ever buy. Mine is 15yrs old already and runs like new. Go with the biggest tank you can - 80 gal minimum as this will help reduce cycling.

Also...and I'm not exactly getting into how to do it here, but I would consider setting up an air solenoid that cut off the air to the spindle unless it is spinning using any free output on the controller. It wastes a considerable amount of energy just sitting there cooling the case while doing nothing. My Centroid Acorn ATC controlled CNC uses the same HSD spindle and case cooling is turned off until it's actually doing work and for 5 min after it stops.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by andrius.ack View Post
    I have 20 gal 220v 4hp single phase california air tools compressor. I have a feeling that is not enough when other things are running off it. Thank you.
    I had a 40 gallon and it was not big enough. I couldn't supply enough air.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.