Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Use

Lightbulb Forum Use

It is really sad we can't get more activity on this Forum
    come on guys .

I'm afraid the "contributors" have moved on to other CNC machines and for the most part all I see here now is Shopbot for sale posts. It's sad, but I think the heyday for Shopbot has come to an end. Lack of innovation and lack of upgrade paths for existing machines by Shopbot has taken the wind out of their sails.

I've had my PRSAlpha since 2009 and the only worthwhile "upgrade" was the ATC. Other then that, it is still much slower then any or the newer machines out there. Shopbot should have ditched their controllers a long time ago and gone with something like the Acorn which is much faster and much more reliable. The old USB weak-link communications and (LOST COMMS error) has always been a thorn in my side. I hesitate to undertake any long 3D carving jobs simply because I've had to many lost comms errors in the middle of a job and wasted some VERY expensive wood.

It's sad because Shopbot really started the whole "affordable" CNC trend, but has let other companies take that away from them.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

You might consider upgrading your system to Acorn. The handy wireless MPG control pendant makes the upgrade worth it alone.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I agree,,,,,,, Com Errors really turned me off........... Upgrades were in the pipe line we were told,,,,,,,, I am still waiting.......... I haven't turned on my Bot in, perhaps 3 years, maybe 4. I was going to upgrade the controller, but haven't gotten to it........... Sigh............ Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

I thought about upgrading. I've recently FULLY retired so I don't need a high speed, highly reliable CNC anymore.

I was also tied tightly to eCabinets and Shopbot Link for my cabinet business. Had to stay on the SB platform to use those.

Now I don't have a business reason (or the business money) to upgrade to Acorn. Done gone Hobby.....

I guess I'll keep nursing the PRSAlpha along. It's been a pretty good workhorse for my former cabinet business and I'll be doing small projects for family and close friends.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I have not gone to Acorn. I have bought some components to widen my machine. They are about to be installed. I may well upgrade the operating system- and if I do, I would upgrade motors too... But I have owned 5 shopbots so far- and they are excellent for what they do, and for whom they let try out the CNC router world. I have my eye on a piece of heavy iron now- but I don't have enough power for it. If I did, I would probably make the switch. But how hard would WinCNC be to learn? Or Acorn? I am not sentimental, but I have some high respect for the road that these folks paved for people like me.

Monty

Quote Originally Posted by dlcw View Post
    I'm afraid the "contributors" have moved on to other CNC machines and for the most part all I see here now is Shopbot for sale posts. It's sad, but I think the heyday for Shopbot has come to an end. Lack of innovation and lack of upgrade paths for existing machines by Shopbot has taken the wind out of their sails.

I've had my PRSAlpha since 2009 and the only worthwhile "upgrade" was the ATC. Other then that, it is still much slower then any or the newer machines out there. Shopbot should have ditched their controllers a long time ago and gone with something like the Acorn which is much faster and much more reliable. The old USB weak-link communications and (LOST COMMS error) has always been a thorn in my side. I hesitate to undertake any long 3D carving jobs simply because I've had to many lost comms errors in the middle of a job and wasted some VERY expensive wood.

It's sad because Shopbot really started the whole "affordable" CNC trend, but has let other companies take that away from them.
    Yes I remember the days that we had 40-50 postings a day and most all of them were very helpful and showed great real world examples of jobs and projects. I loved my ShopBot but found the cost and hassle of up-grading it was more than what I wanted to deal with. In the end I found I could up-grade to a heavier duty and more stable machine easier and more cost effective. ShopBot was a great "starter" machine but in the end I needed more Beef and more reliable controllers...

Monty, wincnc or acorn are not hard, but they are different. Each takes it's getting used to. As for the big electricity, quite often you can convert or run the bigger machines from single phase. After you switch you will wonder why you waited so long.
    Ken

Sadly, Shopbot is dead.
    They should have listened to the users, and not made a bunch of empty promises.
    Tah-Dah

Xerox, Kodak, Blackberry, Shopbot, the list goes on and on.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool