Thread: V-bit and spindle speed

Default V-bit and spindle speed

Guys,
    This has got me beat……used Aspire and Shopbot for years but this has me stumped…..
    I selected a v-bit for a profile cut in Aspire,…….just a simple line then opened it up in the Shopbot CAM program as usual. But the VFD spindle won’t turn on. If I substitute the v-bit for, say, an end mill it’s no problems the spindle turns on OK…….
    So what am I doing wrong??

Your thoughts on this is appreciated…..

Regards
    Mike T
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Check the settings for the tool with the edit button in the Aspire toolpath, what is the rpm set to. Check that tool's settings in the database as well to make sure it's right. Post the two codes here so we can take a look at the beginning of the file. Are you using the same post for both?
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    Check the settings for the tool with the edit button in the Aspire toolpath, what is the rpm set to. Check that tool's settings in the database as well to make sure it's right. Post the two codes here so we can take a look at the beginning of the file. Are you using the same post for both?
    Thanks for your reply. Sorry for late response but I’m in Aus some 14+ hours difference!
    Anyhow when you mentioned tool database and gcode I had another look and noticed in the gcode mention of tool number…….so had another look at the database and “Duh” moment occurred and saw that all my V-bits had number 20, which was the issue. Changed to 19 and worked!

You see I rarely use V-bits, last time was about 5 years ago or more as I use 99.9% end mills on flat aluminium and wood sheeting. Had a requirement to use a V-bit and just missed the tool number issue…..just couldn’t see it……just escaped me……..should know better after all these years….hey��

Thanks again
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

If you generally do cutting with just one bit...or create a separate toolpath for each bit...you might look at the simplified post processors like the Arc-inch or Arc-MM. They don't look at bit numbers etc, but also don't do as many checks and tests so make it easier to cut with the wrong bit if you are not careful.

Bill