Thread: Using tool number larger than 19

Question Using tool number larger than 19

From what I understand, shopbot only uses tool number 1-19 for the first head. If you have a 2nd head, those need to be tool number 20-29, and drills are 30 and above. I just have one spindle head on my shopbot. I use Fusion 360 tool library and I have tool numbers all over the place (I use the same tool library for my Tormach CNC). Is there a way to modify the shopbot configuration file(s) somehow so I can use any tool number?

Is your machine an ATC?
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    Is your machine an ATC?
    No ATC on my shopbot

That tool number limitation is not within the ShopBot software, but depends on how the Post is written and what macros it calls. Don't know how the Fusion posts work but with the Vectric TC posts, if a tool is not ATC then those tool number tests are within the MTC.sbp file that is called from the C9 macro.

There are Vectric posts for single bit cutting that don't use that system, like the ARC_inch or ARC_MM posts. Maybe there's a similar Fusion post?

Thanks. I'll take a look at MTC.sbp file and see what I can do.

All those custom cuts are editable but be careful. That whole system of custom cuts does a lot of things, including turning the spindle on at the start of the file and letting you re-zero the during a manual bit change. My suggestion would be to air cut a file after editing, just to make sure that it does what you expect

I'll definitely do some testing. I think I'll make a separate version of MTC.sbp and change my post processor (I use Fusion 360) so instead of outputting C6, I'll create something new like C66 which will call the revised MTC program.

Meant C9, not C6