Thread: Rotary PP issue

Default Rotary PP issue

I just set up my new rotary indexer. I set the file up to run in the X axis. I used the wrapping gadget and selected the raster machining method. The indexer is rotating 360 degrees, the router is advancing in the Y axis about 0.1" and not at all in the X axis.
    Before connecting the indexer I have run the machine for about 16 years without any similar issues. Something is wrong and I don't know where to look.
    The machine is a Shopbot Benchtop PRT, 4G.
    I think the problem is with the Post Processor. The preview in Aspire looks fine. The Shopbot software has it's own previewer which shows a different preview than Aspire.

Phil

Phil,

A couple of things -- just to review how rotary file posting works in Vectric software. The design that you've created will appear as a 2D drawing that would normally be cut with X, Y and Z moves. When you set up to cut in rotary, the 2D design will be "wrapped" around a cylinder matching the dimensions that you provided in the material setup. The moves made by the tool during cutting will be B axis moves (rotary), Z axis moves (vertical) and either X or Y axis moves (depending on which way you've oriented your indexer, the machine will have to move in X or Y to advance along the length of the cylinder during the cut). It will never output both X and Y moves.

However, at the time of export, you have to select the right post in order to get the right file -- for example, if you've set up a rotary job in inches with the cylinder oriented parallel to the Y axis, you'll need to select the post called "ShopBot Indexer Y-Parallel Inch" or something that reads like that. We've got a bit of work to do with Vectric to make sure all of the correct post processor options are available immediately when you install the software and you don't have to go hunting for them.

I've also been annoyed by this having to select from a long menu of posts in the past, so I've been working on a universal post that automatically makes the choices for you (with the option for you to modify the defaults -- like if you want to post a metric file in inches). I've discussed this post here: https://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sh...e-ShopBot-post -- if you download the post and install it in Aspire, give it a try -- it may be easier than trying to track down and install the exact right post for what you're trying to do -- and if it works, then you'll never have to select a post again -- it will happen automatically.

Brian

Thank you, Brian. This has been a very frustrating process. After setting up and testing the indexer I thought it would be simple to use Aspire to control the new tool. I've used V-Carve since it;s inception roughly 20 years ago. I've had Aspire as long as it's been available. In short, a lot of experience with the software.
    I just tried the PP you sent as an air cut. It worked fine. I'm thrilled that I will now be able to get working with the new rotary indexer.
    I'll let you know if I have any problems.
    I have a question with Vectric, Katie Pitt, to help with the problem. I'm waiting to see her response.

Phil