Thread: Looking for V-Bit Stepdown Advice

Default Looking for V-Bit Stepdown Advice

I'm thinking about using a 90° V-bit in a profiling toolpath, so I can cut pieces out of 3/4" birch ply that will fit together with mitered edges. When I do standard V-carving of lettering or whatever, the cutting is done in a single pass. However, if I use an end-mill to cut through 3/4" ply, I usually use a stepdown of 1/2" or 1/4" (depending on bit diameter), which results in multiple passes.

Does anyone have any experience with cutting all the way through 3/4" ply, using a V-bit in only one pass? What is the maximum stepdown you'd recommend? How likely is it for the bit to break in this situation?

Thanks for any and all advice.

I'm not sure if you're doing mitre-fold or not, but this is interesting anyways;
    Hmm, not seeing attachment or pics icon as usual

here;
    https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43306

scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I'm not doing mitre-folding, just wanting to cut things out with a beveled edge. That said, the link you shared offers very useful information. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

--John

Just an FYI, but a 90 deg bit cutting full depth in one pass in 3/4" material is removing the same amount of material as a 3/4" endmill cutting full depth in one pass! And because much more of a V-bit is cutting the deeper it cuts, to cut in 2 passes and remove the same amount of material is each pass, the first pass has to cut 70.7% of the finish depth and not half the depth.