Thread: Z-zero plate connection problem

Default Z-zero plate connection problem

Hi,

I'm trying to hook up my z-zero plate for the first time. When I touch the plate to the router bit the input light doesn't turn on like it suppose to. I've re-checked all the wires, it looks good. I'm running a used PRT Standard. I have the alligator clip hooked on the bit and the red wire to input 1, which shares the ground input with the E-stop. I also have a ground wire going from the control box to the table. Again, no response at all from the zero plate. I tried the C2 routine and it wanted to push right through the zero plate.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Jason
    Did you go to tools icon on top of software window and then go to shopbot setup. There you can set up setting for your specific machine including, z plate, proxy switch and machine size.There you tell it how thick your plate is then it will set your z zero according to that. Hope that helps. Don

Thanks Don! Got it now.

First thing I had wrong was using the red wire instead of the black from the Z plate. I could have swore it said that in my manual. I found a post in the archives that mentioned to use the 'black' wire to input 1. So I did that, and then setup as you indicated Don, and walla, we're zeroing!

That archive thread I mentioned was from '06 and is located here...
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/mes...tml?1166013809

Turns out when changing bits during a single job the zero plate is essential. Up until now we had done only a couple of jobs that required no bit changes and we zeroed it up by eye. Today we did a v bit, to a straight bit change, and without the zero plate we ran into some problems and tore up a job on an expensive piece of signfoam!

I'm going to try it again tomorrow and hope for success. We are on the beginning of the learning curve here.