Thread: Z Popping Noise Trying to Return to Table

Default Z Popping Noise Trying to Return to Table

I am new... so sorry... I have a BT32 Standard... with the router...

Last night I started a copy machine on a guitar bridge. Everything seemed to be going fine, So, after watching if for an hour or so, I left it to run over night. When I got up this morning to go get my new 3D file, it had stopped 1/2 way through the probing. I resumed it and noticed that the probe was no longer lowering below the surface of the guitar bridge as it moved off the edge. So, I unhappily quit the copy machine program... and got no file at all to review...
    Then I decided I did not want to start it over because I wanted to do other things on the machine in the daylight...

Now... when I try to reset the z with the z-zero plate or try to lower the router with the down arrow on the keypad, it won't go lower than about 4 inches from the spoil board and makes a popping noise like I am trying to move it past its limits...

Looking for some good diagnostic help here... Thanks in advance...
    Brian

An added note... I turned off the PC and shut down the controller. I then unplugged the USB cable. I tried moving the z axis by hand and it won't budge...

Hi Brian,

Sound like the same problem I had with my new replacement Z. After talking with Shopbot support I had to adjust the wheels in the tracks. They sent me a flat wrench to make the adjustments. Looks like if the wheels get out of alignment the Z will bind up. A tempory fix I did was remove the top two wheels to get the Z moving again.

Side note. In talking with Brian at Shopbot sound like they are going to start shipping the flat wrench with all the shopbots to help make the adjustments in the future.

Thanks guys... I will call support on Monday AM...

On another note (because this has happened to me) make sure that under your:
    Display properties/Screensaver(tab)/power scheme
    you make sure you have your "hibernate" properties set to "never" or a few hours in to your probing the harddrive goes to sleep due to no mouse activity.

Thanks again all! I am amazed... Support called me last night - well after hours and we talked through what to do. When I could collect the proper tools, I was able to get it moving again.
    As some of you thought, the bearings were too tight. A 13mm socket and the flat wrench that came with the bot were all I needed. (As well as the good diagnostic skills of Chris...)
    Thanks so much....