Thread: Posting images

Default Posting images

Posting images can seem mystifying and frustrating at times, both for the sender and the viewer.

"Your Image Here" when somebody is about to divulge a new whatsit or dingus drives me mad.

1st: You have to be registered, see this Link for Shopbot Supports reasoning.

2nd: The file size needs to be small , otherwise the Shopbot server would just "chucking wobblies" at all the gigabytes of images being uploaded.

Images should not be more than 400 pixels in either axis and saved in jpeg format. If you exceed 400 your image will get knocked back when you hit the Preview/Post Message button.

A couple of free programs that do resizing quickly are Photo Resizer and Irfanview. I prefer Photo Resizer

5943.jpg
    5944.jpg

Open the file @ 1 , resize the largest number to 400 @2 , resize @3 and save as jpeg @4, simple.

Don't know what's out there for Mac or Linux , but if someone knows , please post.

DvanR

Dick, a small file means 25kByte or less. Another (as opposed to jpg) format that is allowed is gif. (Photos are best in jpg and text/graphics are better in gif - give the smaller file sizes).

paul_a Guest

Hi Paco, Dick and Gerald

Thanks for the help, my first attemps were not registered I then tried to resize the pictures, reduced the colours and tried gif so I will go and play in the test area with Photo Resizer

Many thanks

Paul

As a rule of thumb 400 pixels seems to work for me. I have noticed though that my Laptop which has the screen set to its highest setting makes my post above look normal, that is side by side. But on my shopbox computer where the res is lower, the images are stacked and look huge.

As in all things here some fiddling is required.

Now where did I lay my cutoff saw for the images ....

DvanR

The photoresizers mentioned by Dick are good. I use Irfanview, because it can "crop" as well.

Since the beginning of this year, this forum started accepting larger pics.

Images cannot be over:
    - 640 pixels wide
    - 480 pixels high
    - file size limit of 50kB.
    All 3 conditions must be met.

To reduce file size, reduce the "Quality" percentage. 70% quality would normally do the trick.

For Linux users, try GIMP. It is a photoshop type program with all of the features of photoshop, including scaling. (Since it is Linux, it is OpenSource, meaning that it is free of charge as well as free to modify to exactly suit your personal needs.)

Link to The GIMP

The GIMP work very well in Windows too. I use it, I love it! Along with all the help you can find around the Internet to use it, let me know if I can help to get you start with it.