Thread: Timer Over-run

Default Timer Over-run

Hi again
    Now I have another problem.
    When I swich my spindell on in
    Control Box Prooblem window appears mesage
    No Return Value Timer Over-run

I tryed to run my ShopBot on Win98
    Is this software problem or is another grounding problem?
    The Colombo spindel only gets power supplay from control box, and have no other connection with control box.

Regards

Hi Karmen!

The first thing that I think of is power connections in the control box... I get this message when I shut off the control box BEFORE ending SB3...

Can you duplicate this EACH time you try to start the spindle?

Do you have to restart SB3 after this happen?

Software? don't think so... grounding? maybe check it out to be sure if connections are OK at the control box.

Kamen said "I tryed to run my ShopBot on Win98"..... Did it run correctly with another Windows before?

Check the USB cable. Sometimes mine gets partially disconnected (when I step on it) and I get that error.

Usually that goes away just by clicking to close it once or twice as long as the control box is on. I will get it sometimes if I turn my control box off and then back on. Sometimes I will get rid of it by turning the controller off and on! Sometimes I need to restart SB3. I also run Win98 on my shop floor computer and I believe the latest version of SB is pushing it for most systems running 98. By the next SB version we may need more computer on the floor. I spoke with Frank about it a while back and he had me check for 98 updates. It helped some.

Dave

Have you tried "the Fix" which Jim Zaccarro posted a few weeks back on this Forum? Apparently there is an "issue"with some of the USB pigtails coming out of the control box (they are not grounded properly). The "fix"is to connect a wire with an alligator clip to the connection where the USB pigtail, and the cord from your computer connect, and then connect the other end of that cord to your control box. It eliminated 90% of my Alpha issues, and I know of a few others who have had success with it as well.

Addendum to above: My spindle is running from a dedicated 220-1ph circuit and my controller from a different 110 circuit. My computer runs from a third circuit.

Dave

Online Ecommerce Ltd, Blackburn Lancashire

I only get this message when I turn off the control box before shutting down the control software.... which is the same as Paco

My impression is that Kamen was operating on a later Win version before he struck this problem with Win98. I am increasingly finding that Win98 cannot keep up with recently re-written software - the programmers seem to be leaning towards stuff that will run properly only on true 32-bit Windows (NT, 2000 & XP). I have converted two of my PC's to Win2000 recently and there is a big improvement in some applications.

Who has their Alphas running happily on Win98?

ETA. With Win98, you must also make sure that you have the latest DirectX.

I just install a 3hp spindle and am having the same problem. Talked to SB they said it might be noise from the VFD. They suggested that the e stop wire was acting as an antenna and had me disconnect the e stop. (Had to jump wires from es1 to es2 and es3 to es4) This did not solve my problem. I now think it might be in the USB connection. The only wiring I have for the spindle in the control bos is the control wire to turn it on and off. The main feed is not going through the control box. ShopBot also suggest to reroute high voltage from low as best as I could. I am going to try a new USB cable and will let you know if it solved the problem.