Thread: Lost Communication

Default Lost Communication

Well, I really goofed this time.

I accidentally touched the ground prong of my shopbot computer plug to a hot 110V lead and got a spark. My computer was isolated except for the USB cable to the shopbot control box. It is hardwired, but was NOT powered up.

I thoroughly checked my control box for burned components and funny smells and I couldn't find anything out of place. I unplugged the USB to the shopbot and booted my PC and it came up fine. I checked the USB ports in the Device Manager. Everything looked fine. I transfered some files through the USB port and it operated without problems.

But when I connected the USB cable to my shopbot and tried to establish communications, it gave me a "No Active Shopbot Found" message and an amber colored light on the Serial to USB adapter.

I tried to connect using my laptop and got the same message. I have used my laptop for years without problems, so I know the problem is in the control box.

I went to Radio Shack and purchased a Gigaware Serial to USB adapter and tried that. The Gigaware adapter did NOT work, so I tracked down an IO Gear adapter. This got me connected, but I receive a "Missing Comm Return" message about every 10-30 seconds. I tried different port settings for the adapter, reloaded the firmware, checked and rechecked averything I know, but still can't operate my shopbot.

I sent in a tech-support request to ShopBot on Monday and have heard NOTHING since then. (It's now Thursday!) So, I'm asking the community for help.

Did I fry my control board? Am I missing a setting somewhere? Help!

Scott,
    Look in the device manager and see what port number the new usb adapter is. If it is above the number 16 the controller won't see it.
    Hopefully it is, so then go in to
    control panel
    system
    device manager
    ports (com & LPT)
    select the new one that you just installed
    port settings
    advanced
    change the com port number to what the old adapter used

Hopefully this will work

Sean

Scott,
    try phoning to tech support. Immediate help most of the time. If the techs are all busy you will get a phone call from them.
    I keep shopbot in my speed dial.
    1-888-680-4466
    good luck, David

don't trust email, its possible they never got it and you're sitting there steaming thinking they aren't bothering to call you back. Call them and just wait on hold if you have to. I've never usually waited but a few minutes..

OK, I shouldn't have trusted email. They received it and said they responded, but I never got the response.

While talking to Frank this morning, he gave me a couple of things to try. Running a ground wire from the computer chassis to the D-ring on the serial adapter did the trick.

I'm back in business!!!

Hi Scott
    Unfortunately i have ths same problem.
    I'm not shure about circuit shortage but I can't make connection with control box.
    My questions
    What is d-ring on adapter?
    Is old IO gear adapter gone?

Thaks

Hi again
    I change my IO gear USB to Serial with one made from Gembird. Company operates only in Europe.
    instal path is same as IO gear adapter.
    The problem is solved. And for now my PRT Alpha works fine.

Regards

Default Hub

Hi: I have been habitually getting the "MISSING COM" message, and have to stop and start my part files from scratch every time this happens. Can you please let me know if the Gembird hub you are using may help to solve this problem? If you think it would, can you please let me know which model, so I may look for one. I am at my wits end with the Missing Com message popping up. Thanks Joe