Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Z Axis Creep

J.E.T Guest

I was not aware there was a sb2b14. The download page only shows a sb2b10. I will check again but, If you do have a 14 version, where did you get it and if your version is 14 why isn"t it availabe to everyone? I thought Shopbot was going to supply all owners with a bug free copy of the software when it came off the press. Can anyone supply an update on this issue?

J.E.T Guest

I did check, and there it is sb2b14 to download. Will download today and check it out ---Thanks Shopbot---

Ted Hall, ShopBot Guest

Hi Rick,

The plunge depths in 'Typesetter' are computed for you on the basis of the bit angle that you indicate and the height of the lettering you select. These depths are all 3D moves and depend on the letter.

The clearance height between letters is the height you indicate when the program asks for Z up height. Something like .2 is usually safe.

I'm having z-axis problems. I just routed a 6'x2'sign using my usual method of hogging out (pocketing) the background and leaving the lettering standing about 3/8" proud from the background. (you can see what I'm doing under "model signs" under "ShopBots is use" at the ShopBot web site. The problem is that the first half of the routed background is as smooth as a baby's bottom, but then the z-axis went nuts and left lines of different depths throughout the background, ruining about $150 worth of SignFoam high density urethane. The depth difference is only about 1/32" to 1/16" but next to impossible to correct by sanding amidst all my lettering. I didn't notice how bad it was until after I cut the sign free from the blank, so it's too late to fix this piece since I've lost my precise xy-zero starting point. I looked at the z-axis and found vertical play which I reduced by tightening very loose set screws in a collar at the top of the z screw. I use a dust collector so I don't have any debris build up on my z screw. I hope that tightening the set screws fixes the problem. I'll try routing the sign again tomorrow. In the meantime, I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone who has experienced a similar problem.

when you tighten the screws, be sure to use some thread locking compound (Loctite). vibrations from the router and steppers can loosen set screws over time.