Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum plenum

Default Vacuum plenum

I'm gravitating toward an aluminum vacuum grid table top, but need to build a plenum to support the grid plate.

I'm thinking the plenum needs to be bolted to the table, then surfaced before mounting the grid plate.

I'm thinking 1/2" aluminum plate at the moment. Does anyone have experience using cast aluminum jig plate vs regular plate for large surfaces?

Sheldon,
    Cast jig plate will be the way to go but be prepared for the "sticker shock".I priced a plate a few weeks ago for the same idea and if i remember it was around $1600.00.
    -shawn

You'd be better off putting the AL plate below the grid & bleeder, than making the plate the bleeder, in my opinion. I hear a lot of guys complaining that they can't keep their table flat. If you glue every layer of your table together you should not be having problems with flatness. I get every season where I live & my table stays very flat. I use 2 sheets of Medex glued together, then machine my parts with or without my BradyVac grid.

-B

Brady,
    I'm not familar with medex,is it similar to extira?Do you use the 2 sheet's of medex for the table base and spoilboard?I need to redo my setup the mdf spoiboard warps the day after i surface it.I know it's due to the fact that it's screwed down instead of glued so when i redo it i want to go with a good setup.
    thanks
    -shawn

Shawn,
    You can check out Medex specs here: http://www.sierrapine.com/products/m...ex/default.asp

I have been using it from day 1 (5yrs) and it has worked out really well. It is like MDF, but contains plastic fillers that make it more stable. They didn't say it was exterior grade when I 1st bought it, but it did say it was 'moisture resistant', which I felt was what I needed.

-B

Does wood fiber and plastic composites glue up well?.. with wood glue?

Paco,
    If you are calling Sintra/Komatex PVC a composite...no. You need to A) Scuff the back side of the PVC liberally with 40 or 60 grit sandpaper to create some mechanical tooth & B) Use a polyurethane glue such as Gorilla Glue, which I can verify that it works when gluing MDF to PVC for vacuum. Countersunken holes and Kreg screws also wouldn't be a bad idea if using PVC.

-B

Thanks Brady
    -shawn

Has anyone used a sheet PVC material such as AZEK to contruct a plenum grid? Any thoughts on this idea?

I have often wondered the same thing. No leaks, Flater. Seen one on expensive table, but where to get a sheet that big?