Thread: Help resetting unit values

University of North Dakota, Grand Forks North Dakota

Default Help resetting unit values

Hello, I had a well intentioned student working with the Shopbot the other day and he went in and reset all the unit values and also the ramp values. Now the machine is no longer traveling accurate distances when imput.

I don't know if it is related, but every time I jog the X axis the whole machine shakes when the motion stops (seems to run fine when it is moving though). The machine is the Prt standard 48x96 that we bought a couple years ago. I wrote the settings down the last time, but now I can't find them. Is there anywhere where the proper settings are posted? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there not a setting to go to "default settings"?
    If not why don't you uninstall software and reinstall it and it should install with default settings shouldn't it?
    Get better answers before you do that though.

Use the command (U)tilities (R)eset and choose the proper default settings file for your machine.

Take note as to whether you have a standard or standard with V4G controls.

Hello, I'm still struggling with this problem. I called tech support and they showed me the unit value charts on Wiki, but the unit values that they said would be correct seem lower than the ones I was last using. The stepper motors are Vexta A6497-9412ktg on all three axis. Would these be 3.6:1 ratio? Also I am somewhat unsure of exactly what the specs on my system are. I purchased it two years ago and at that time I ordered the Prt96 Standard. Looking at the board reveals the # ZPRTG1127060071. Would this indicated the upgraded board?

So far the unit values I have in place are:

X & Y 1833.465
    Z 2291.831
    A 1273.2395
    B 13.8889
    Circle .005
    Small Circle .25

Resolution is 1 for everything.

Alex,
    If your control board is void of 4 2X3" rectangular black 'boxes' sticking up from the main control board, then you most likely have a 3G PRT control board. These are 1/4 stepping drivers, and the newer 4G boards are 1/10 stepping drivers. You CANNOT use the latest version of SB3 control software with this setup - you MUST use v3.5.27 which you can download here

Your unit values will be EXACTLY 2.5x less than the numbers you show above.

EG -> X & Y 1833.465 / 2.5 = 733.386 and the Z axis, with 3.6:1 ratio motor would be -> 916.7324

After you start making money with the tool, invest in the 4G upgrade.

-B

Brady, thanks for the help, I will try the values tomorrow and report back. What exactly does the A & B values control? Would the values I have for these and the circles be the same? We are an educational institution, but the upgrade will definitely be something I will consider in the near future. Just have to get comfortable with this one to start out. Thanks again.

Alex

Alex,
    The 'A' axis is generally for a 2nd Z axis tool & the 'B' axis is generally for an indexer/4th axis. If you are not using these channels, you can assign one of your primary axes to one of these channels in the event that you have burnt out a driver.

You can leave the A, B, and small circle definitions at the default since you will only be running 3 axes.

Be sure to convey to the class that the tool should NEVER be moved (gantry) manually since the motors can act as generators and burn out an axis.

-B

Brady, thanks for the help. I did plug in the values you gave me and they didn't work. I put a dial indicator on the different axis and returned to the previous 1833.465 XY and 2291.831 and got the correct readings. I have no idea what I did different this time, which is a bit scary. Thanks again for your help.