Thread: Problems loading sb229.exe

gwb Guest

Default Problems loading sb229.exe

This week I did a clean install to win 2k, then tonight sb229.exe would not install, it will unpack to the winnt\temp directory and will create sb200 & sbpart directory it then gives a bad command or file name error when it try's to run inst2.exe
    I tried running install from the command prompt to no avail, it also fails to create the sbdisk files.
    Has anyone got a work around?

Gary,

You need to create a "Windows" directory at the root level of the drive you are installing Shopbot on. You also need to create a "temp" directory under the windows directory and a "Desktop" directory. This will allow the installer to run. There may be a file not found error at the end, but it looks like everything is in the right place. Also note I have run ShopBot under win2k and it runs very poorly. A while back I posted the reason why, if you look back you will probably find it.

Hope this helps.

Ted Hall, ShopBot Guest

Hi Gary,

Unfortunately, ShopBot does not run under Windows2000 or NT or XP. It does run on Windows 95/98/ME. In 2000 and NT, the problem is that the DOS core of the program does not get direct access to the serial port, and will only communicate very slowly.

The ShopBot software can be used on a Win2000/NT machine in Preview Mode (since the connection to serial port is not needed). In this case, the installation can be accomplished with the tricks that Jerry mentioned above (the installation software is expecting a folder arrangement like Win98, and this is the problem). Another way to get the software on a Win2000/NT machine is to install it on a Win95/98/ME computer and then just copy the SB200 folder (and SBPARTS folder if you want it) to the Win2000/NT maichine. It will take 2 floppies (or two trips). Everything needed to run ShopBot is in the SB200 folder, nothing is modified elsewhere on the computer.

We are expecting a Windows version of the ShopBot software to be available in January. This version should run on all current Windows systems. We will maintain the DOS version for those ShopBotters who want to make use of older computers.

gwb Guest

Thanks Jerry & Ted for the info.
    My PRT actually runs with another computer on my network (win me machine), I had done a clean install of win 2K on my office computer which I do my design work and sb conversions on in the evenings. The easiest fix for the present was to load 98 back on and run a dual boot, which got me back up and running quickly.