Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spindle Not Turning On (3.6.1)

Default Spindle Not Turning On (3.6.1)

Several times over the last couple of weeks I've had my spindle not turn on at the beginning of a file. I'm primarily sending files from the SB Link, and had originally thought it might be something in the custom cut files used with the Link. I don't think this is the case, though, as I've had it happen, restarted the file without changing anything, and had the file run fine.

I'm not clear whether it's output 1 or 4 that's not being turned on, but I have noticed a few times, that Output 4 was not light up on the control software screen display, when it should have been.

Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

Nat,
    Update your link. I think this was a problem a few weeks ago and has been resolved with 1.0.8. Otherwise open your file up before it runs and make sure your custom file is being read that prompts you to turn on your spindle.

Running 1.0.9, custom file is being read...

It might not be software related at all. One of your contactors might be sticking.

David,

What is a contactor?

Nat

Inside your control box are the physical switches, known as contactors, which have to close for the spindle to operate. The ones in an Alpha control box look similar to the one pictured in the Wikipedia article.

Although they are pretty reliable, like all things mechanical they don't last forever. Since I don't want to recommend that you operate the machine with the control box open, I think a call to tech support to diagnose the issue is on order. If it is one of the contactors, you might have an unused one in the control box that you can switch out with the one that is sticking.

Thanks very much, David.
    Nat

Nat...
    The first thing you need to do, and possibly the most difficult, is make the problem repeatable, or at least make it happen again.

Start at the console and make sure that the output light for the spindle is on. Also make sure that the light for output 4 is on as the spindle will not start without it.

If you know these 2 conditions to be good, you then need to get the cover open on the control box. You will probably have to make the error happen again. Once you have the error, then check to see if the contactors, as David mentions, are working by using an AC voltmeter. THen check to see if the proper TTL relays are operating, but these shouldnt affect a spindle. Check the board connections for the start, spindle and output. Wiggle the blue connectors to make sure nothing is loose.

IF there is no problem in the control box, work your way out to the spindle wire connections to the spindle itself. Good Luck
    Gary

Thanks Gary.

I'll do some investigating if the issue continues this week. (Hoping it's magically disappeared!)

Nat

Parish Industries Limited / DK Engineering Limited / Zapkut Limited, Birmingham West Midlands

Hi All

Apologies for reviving an old post but I'm having a Similar Issue. I'm using Software 3.6.10 and the firmware has been upgraded. The output light for the spindle is on and all the contacters have been checked and are working. It seems when the sbp file is loaded the software is not firing the message to the router to fire. I've attached the sbp file. The table has been modified on this unit as it's in the uk and Partworks (v2) and ShopBot3 are all in MM too. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    Sbp File

Pocket 2.sbp (13.2 k)