Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acrylic Edge Quality

toe_jam Guest

Default Acrylic Edge Quality

Okay I'm running into a problem with acrylic edge's. It's okay with other plastics but really sucking with acrylic...I Think. Is this as good as it gets with edges on Acrylic. I have a acrylic Belin Tools bit, 3 actually and tried all 2 of the 3 in case it was the bit. I'm doing this at 15k RPM's at 2.5 inch/sec as they specified. I was exporting dxf files from flexi, but now just did these in part Wizard incase exporting and importing was adding more points. This looks like a sproket to me, I would really have to sand the #%$ out of this to flame polish. All the rollers and bearings seem to be seating right. I have even updated the control software to the latest December update. Any Ideas?

http://www.thesignindustry.com/miscs...etteredge1.JPG

http://www.thesignindustry.com/miscs...etteredge2.JPG

http://www.thesignindustry.com/miscs...etteredge3.JPG

http://www.thesignindustry.com/miscs...etteredge4.JPG

Oh and I am using Cast Acyrlic

Erik,
    You will notice an immediate increase in edge quality if you use a 1/2" bit instead of a 1/4". The 1/2" is more rigid...you also might try using a 3/8" so that you don't eat up as much material.

While this would reduce the # of 'gear' marks on the outer edge, you still will show signs of bit stepdown as seen in your pics. I would recommend offseting (using Allowance) the toolpath so that you leave maybe .02 on the piece. Stepdown and leave a .03 skin on the bottom. Then run a single profile pass to the desired size at full depth to give a nice clean edge.

-Brady

I'll agree with Brady on a finish pass of .020-.030 high speed on the feed and more rigid bit. Be sure and look at your "waste". If it has a better finish, you are cutting the wrong direction.

Ron

Erik,
    like the other guys said, bigger is better. I try never to cut acrylic with anything smaller than 3/8" . I've had my best success with climb cutting and onion skin/finish pass tactics described by Brady. The new Onsrud "superflute" plastics tools seem to be giving me the best edge quality so far.

YMMV
    Eric

Do you think that Erik could have done better than what he got guys (take a look at his pics)? I believe he has got a quite good cut on thoses letters.

Paco,
    Yes. For one, he could eliminate the water line marks by doing a finshing pass as directed...and the higher rigidity of a larger bit would reduce flex and give a less jagged edge.

What might be a great cut to some is a horrible cut to others ~ meaning that if you were going to flame polish or buff the edge, the number of grit steps or time post finishing can be dramatically reduced by doing a finishing pass with a larger bit. Again, it depends on the application and customer's needs.

-Brady

I agree with all that Brady. I'm somewhat suprised that you believe that the cut could be better... though I'm open to the best! I tend to use small bit (1/8-1/4" and even 1/16") since I often have to deal with details which you "loose" with bigger tool; let say a 4" "W", cut with a 3/8" CED tool bit it would look quite "undetailed"... unless it match the font... But I was to cut circles or squares, I would look for a bigger tool for sure.

Noah's Art, Ashburton Canterbury, New Zealand

Erik
    It might just be the material that is flexing, and not the machinery. This will be generally worse as the cut gets further away from the clamps.

Good point Simon!
    Hold down is important on plastic; especialy on thin stock...