Thread: Project tool paths onto 3D shapes and curved surfaces

Default Project tool paths onto 3D shapes and curved surfaces

Hello guys I am new to Aspire but experienced in PartWorks 2D and 3D and solidworks, I purchased Aspire because i was told and i was under the impression that i could Project tool paths onto 3D shapes and curved surfaces, I am having some issues doing so. I am laying up laminates over a mold to be put in a vacuum bag press. I designed the mold in 3d on solidworks Took it into Partworks 3D and then to the CNC. After my part cured over my mold i want to take it back to the CNC to cut it into its shape. So my Plan was to import my SolidWorks Mold into Aspire and project my tool path onto it but i Cant seem to do so, The Material Size/model orientation are the first problems i encounter, any input would be great?

Max
    You have to open a new file with the material specified before it will allow you to access the FILE > import > Import component / 3d model flyout. Then the list of acceptable files will appear STL, DXF , ... You can always change the material sizes later if needed, it will not crop your model.
    If you know the size of your mold then just open a file with that size plus a little as your material. You get a dialog box with a view of your model and the option of how to orient it before it opens.
    The ability to project the toolpath is on the bottom of the 2d toolpath window on the toolpathing panel (F12)
    Hope this gets you started
    Bob

Thanks Bob, but im still having problems even getting the model oriented correctly when i import it. the model comes in on its side and the Orient 3d Model options are back,front,left,right,top bottom none of which will put my model of the mold into the correct orientation.

i have attached an image showing the model being imported into Aspire. if i choose top surface-front and zero position-bottom the model lays correctly on the large flat part of its bottom but is long in the Y direction instead of the X.

mold preview.pdf (43.8 k)

Max
    the orientation has to do with how the model was oriented in your 3d program. But you can select it after it is in Aspire and rotate it 90 Degrees, or whatever angle you want, to fit on your material. Select it in the 2d window, not 3d, and hit the R key to open the rotate dialog.
    hope this helps

51905.jpg In Sketchup

51906.jpgimport into Aspire

51907.jpgimport "top"

51908.jpgrotated 90 degrees