Thread: Need help with 3d tool path

Default Need help with 3d tool path

I am trying to make an acoustic guitar neck. I am not cad savvy and have been trying this on the cheep but I have been able to come up with something that gets me almost where I want to be. I used googles sketchup to model the neck and then exported to dxf. I also as you will see when you look at the images I include, cut the job into two files to save time (and wear & tear) machining the part. Partworks 3d seems to think I need a piece of material sized to the largest dimensions of the part but that is not what I start with, hence dividing it in two. I have included a picture showing the two as one.
    The trouble I am having as you can see by the simulated carve pics is that it is not carving all the way to the bottom of the heel part. I have tried several different tool pathing scenarios but to no avail. Partworks is the only tool pathing ware that I have so I would really like to get this to work. I could use it the way it is but it just means a bit more hand work and I don't really expect to get a finish and ready to use neck anyway and don't want one but I'd like to get a little closer.
    Anyway thanks for looking and for any suggestions.

51189.jpg

51190.jpg

51191.jpg

If I understand you right, you can do this as one cut file, without all the extra machining of dead space around your glued up/weird shaped blank...

This should also help you machine to the edge of the piece...

On Step 2 - Model Size/Material Size, check the boxes for "Symmetrical" and "Use Model Silhouette" and enter the diameter of your roughing cutter in the box next to "Symmetrical".

I should be a little more clear about what I'm trying to accomplish here. There are parts of the neck that are not included in the drawing here. There is a headstock that protrudes out of the flared end and a dovetail that protrudes out of the heel end so I can't have Silhouette cut or it would cut those pieces off.
    I have found that when I turn the part on it's side and create a partfile to cut a top and bottom then it cuts just fine but it thinks there is wood where there is not so it wastes time and wear & tear.