Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which version of Corel?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    The other issue customers comment on is the inability to upgrade to the latest version if your existing version is X2 or X3 or earlier. Some people reported when trying to install the X6 upgrade package that it asks for version X4 or X5 serial numbers or codes. If you have an earlier version, evidently Corel tech support says too bad - you're out of luck.
    I have upgraded from as early as the first version of Corel. I've never had any issues. I run X6 now and just got an email last night that X7 is available. Good program all around.

Woops, I'm a little confused about upgrades.

A couple of months ago I tried to upgrade my version which is X3 to find out there is a limit to upgrades and I'd need to purchase a new package for about $500.

The only reason I wanted to upgrade was to use their Legature Type 1 font upgrade. So I checked out their trial version it does such a poor job I had to pass. To my knowledge, only Illustrator can import the universal Type 1 letter styles. I have several fonts that are almost useless without this feature.

To see what I'm talking about look for the letter style "Desire". It comes from www.letterheadfonts.com

O by the way if you don't know much about Glyphs and Legatures and how attractive they are, check out the letter style "Desire" in www.letterheadfonts.com. Scroll down on this fonts optional glyphs and styles to see what can be done. Stunning stuff.

Default New fonts with old ver of Corel

Joe, You can still use the new font types you just need to install the expanded library sets. With "desire" you will need to install the 12 alt fonts set and you then can use all the font styles. I little more cumbersome but it works for older vers of Corel. I agree Letterhead fonts are very cool to use and set your work apart from everyone else, especially if you are in the sign business.

It seems to me the student version works like the full fledged program but can not be upgraded in the future.

Joe

Upgrades are only available to registered purchases, the products from ebay and elsewhere are not upgradeable. you have to buy original from Corel or there distribution chain to have a registered copy.