Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RAMS Software - EASY 2D, 3D, V-Carving ToolPath Creation From YOUR Design Package

Sugeri Inc., Crystal Beach Ontario Canada

Default RAMS Software - EASY 2D, 3D, V-Carving ToolPath Creation From YOUR Design Package

When you are after an easy solution to creating a toolpath fast and painlessly RAMS Software is the way to go.

Input to this program includes: Corel Draw files exported as either *.dxf or *.eps; CAD (and other programs) files in *.dxf format; HPGL files in the *.plt format; STL and SLA Rhino or other 3D program output as *.stl or *.sla format; other program files as input to RAMS Software includes *.cnc; *.igs; *.vda.

I personally am a very poor learner when it comes to very technically oriented programs. I have used Corel Draw for a number of years for the purpose of printing. I now have found a program that works similarly to what I needed to do to get camera ready output from Corel Draw.

I start by designing the layout in Corel Draw (or whatever you are comfortable with), then export the file to an .eps format (seems cleaner than .dxf), then open the .eps file in Rams Software, select the item(s) that I want to cut and run a wizard (good, no thinking) to select the bit, the depth and type of cut that I want. I then hit a button which generates the shopbot file with an extension of .sbp. I can also see a graphic presentation of the toolpath before or after I generate the Shopbot files.

It is the only package that I have been able to learn and use in a matter of days, but like I said I'm not the brightest light under the stars!

I have found that the support has been amazing, by phone, no less! I just wish to express my thanks to David Ford of RAMS Software for this excellent, easy to use program.

If you are interested there is a demo package that actually creates toolpaths without spending money. You've got fifteen days after the download! Check it out at http://www.rams-software.com

I think that you will be very surprized, especially at the price. 2D with v-bit text and graphics carving is $795 and 3D with all of the 2D package features and true 3D cutting capability is only $995. Rams Software is also a dealer for Rhino's modeling package.

I hope that this helps you! (no, I don't have any affiliation with Rams Software, except for ordering it real soon).

Enjoy

RAMS update. I have now generated some pretty fancy signs using the vee carving features in RAMS. I can't believe how easy it is AND FAST.

For anyone who wants output from their machine NOW and is not into struggling with software, I highly recommend it. I just wish I had found it sooner! By the way, I finally bought it!

It's amazing to me how easy it is to use after the struggles I've had with so many other packages. And I find it a bonus that it works so well with Corel Draw as a design package. I've used Corel for years and hate it, but better the devil you know.....

it's easy and fast only so long as it doesn't crash your computer. even after changing my screen to low resolution, I still get floating point, divide by zero, and GPF errors.

it looks like interesting software, but only if it runs.

Sounds like you are having serious problems. What type of computer are you running with how much memory. The software is fairly demanding of the system, especially video.

it's a P3-600 MHz with 128 MB RAM. I'm using an ATI display card and have used a number of different display settings, including the recommended 800X600.

it's a system I routinely use to develop animation using Poser4.

david@rams-software.com Guest

David

You said you changed your screen to low resolution. Try the following settings:
    1024X768
    Color = at least 16 bit depending on several things on the video card you should try 32 bit if not already.
    The floating point issue is usually found in Windows 95 and Windows 98 Second edition and easily resolved. just contact Tech support at 954-571-8200 and they will be glad to help. They can also give you a new License key since yours has expired.

I tried that. it worked for about 10 min. then I got the dreaded blue screen.

david ford Guest

David

If it worked for an little while then the program is functioning. Sounds like system resources, not memory, is low. Many things take a drain on system resources and over time they are depleted, as other programs start to use them. Windows 98 becomes unstable around 75% availible.
    Give Tech support a call.

David Ford

David, which ATI card do you have? all in wonder
    pro, Radeon, and was Coreldraw running in the background,I had a similar problem and found and
    some info on corel's site and changed drivers..

cristy0788@aol.com Guest

Gary - This seemed like the right page to ask this question (I hope)...I'm in the signmaking business, and we often get artwork from companies in .eps format. Trying to convert that to shopbot code has been a nightmare, short of redrawing the entire file in Corel & exporting as a .dxf. I'm looking for a shortcut to get an .eps file to cut on the shopbot with the smallest hassle possible. Does anyone know how to do that? Will that RAMS software convert an .eps file to .dxf successfully? Thanks for any help...