Thread: Making box joints along a curve. How do I do that!

Default Making box joints along a curve. How do I do that!

I am making a small pirates chest. I have drawn the curved top end parts and now need to create box joints along the top curved edge to fit a panel of .125" russian birch into it.

For straight edges I can draw a box and step and repeat it. Then weld it along the edge but I cannot figure out how to do this one. The curv is not the same all around so I cannot change the rotate axis and just step and rotate to get them. I will also have to cut a part to wrap around the ends with the same matching box joints, so cutting the ends are just half of the problem.

If I understand you correctly I would do this by drawing the outer curve of the end parts, use the segment command (your CAD program does have a segment commmand, yes?) to break the curve into the proper number of segments, offset every other segment inwards by 1/8" then delete those original segments that were just offset. Then connect all the ends of the offset segments to the ends of the nearest non-offset segment.

21509.jpg

Did I understand correctly? If you CAD program can't do that send me the dimensions and I'll draw it for you.

David,

I am not sure if Corel X3 has that tool or not. You have given me something to look for so I will either get back to you with a "I got it" or I'll send you an exported .eps file of the part.

You did understand my request corectly. The only difference, other than size from your example above is mine will not have a vertical section between the curve and the bottom horizontal line.

The next trick will be making the part that is to fit into the curved section.

Just so you know, I will have a 0.005" kerf in making this project. I will be cutting this part on the laser so radius corners are not a problem here.

Thank you so much. I am off to search out new uncharted commands!

Ed